TechHui

Hawaiʻi's Technology Community

Someone needs to start a conversation and it beats working, so here goes.

I am working on Soundpaper; a technology for printing audio on paper.   We use a very high density 2 dimensional barcode to store audio on paper.  We have dedicated hardware for recording and scanning the barcode and will also have smart phone apps on those phones with good enough optics to read this barcode.  We have working prototypes and are seeking additional funding to bring the product to market. 

I'm happy to talk more about this, but I'd also love to learn what other people are working on.

Ken

Views: 188

Replies to This Discussion

Not exactly an invention, but I've been working on a web site to help students learn Algebra. It provides an interactive equation manipulation tool that lets the students drag and drop the parts of an equation in order to, for example, "solve for y". I've designed and implemented the basic functionality in order to prove the concept, but it's currently on hold until my partner (the fellow who came up with the idea) writes up a business plan.
Alika,
The great thing about your goal is that it is entirely achievable with almost no money (just your precious time). You can start with a simple wiki website and build it from there. If the content is good and if it is easy to use, people will come. All the tools you need are available for free, so go for it!

Ken

Alika (kauai inventor) said:
Thx Ken for the contact, Ill be sure to let her know you sent me. So to answer your question, I would like to start a website that deals with the freedom of information act. I would like to start a central site where people can post documents and have them nicely categorized for searches. Also, the site will have other documents as well as requests for documents that other people would be in a better position to obtain. This seems a timely site with the current concerns going on in the U.S.
EAR BUDS?

I bought an iPod Nano recently and, never having had any similar device, was surprised that the ear buds do an absolutely lousy job of keeping out extraneous sounds. If I press them against my ear canals the sound is fantastic, but that's hardly a sensible solution. So I went looking for better ear buds. I found a set that looked good; they actually conform to the shape of the ear canal and keep out ambient sounds. But they don't include the little control device on the wire that the iPod's ear bud wire has, so there's no way to control the iPod.

So here's the idea: an Ear Bud Adapter: A fairly simple foam "bud" that fits over the iPod's bud but does a better job of conforming to the shape of the ear canal, that basically lets you "plug" the bud into your ear and thereby exclude most ambient noise.

I've looked around and haven't seen anything like this, in spite of the preponderance of iPod accessories.

Good idea? How would I go about turning this idea into an actual product?
I have a set of noise cancelling earbuds ( Sony ) that I bought in Japan years ago that fit your ear canal snugly via rubber seals. Music sounds great but I find them uncomfortable to wear for long flights. Disposable foam might be better.

Prototypes are a good place to start. See if a good idea on "paper" is a good idea when you put it in someoneʻs ear. Iʻd find a couple of sets of those flourescent ear plugs ( Home depot/loweʻs, HPM...) Those mold to your ear canal nicely. Hollow them out for a sound channel and and try them out on a few ears. Doesnʻt have to be pretty to play with.

( They do compress a lot to insert so you might have to make a really big channel to compensate. Also for machining purposes, they can be frozen solid. )

Also check the web..Nothing more annoying than spending time and money on development to find someone elseʻs version already for sale.

Roger Garrett said:
EAR BUDS?

I bought an iPod Nano recently and, never having had any similar device, was surprised that the ear buds do an absolutely lousy job of keeping out extraneous sounds. If I press them against my ear canals the sound is fantastic, but that's hardly a sensible solution. So I went looking for better ear buds. I found a set that looked good; they actually conform to the shape of the ear canal and keep out ambient sounds. But they don't include the little control device on the wire that the iPod's ear bud wire has, so there's no way to control the iPod.

So here's the idea: an Ear Bud Adapter: A fairly simple foam "bud" that fits over the iPod's bud but does a better job of conforming to the shape of the ear canal, that basically lets you "plug" the bud into your ear and thereby exclude most ambient noise.

I've looked around and haven't seen anything like this, in spite of the preponderance of iPod accessories.

Good idea? How would I go about turning this idea into an actual product?
I'm working on three separate projects.

A new method of providing three-dimensional finger/hand control of virtual objects in graphical space for computers.

A novel packaging concept for fresh eggs making it easier for the consumer to handle eggs.

A novel packaging concept for fresh, bake-at-home cookies.

If anyone has experience in any of these areas I would welcome your evaluation, feedback, suggestions and assistance.
I'm working on setting up a maker space on Maui.... mauiMakers.com That in itself isn't an invention, there are similar spaces around the world, but we are trying to bring the means for digital manufacturing (fab labs) to the islands. This will let inventors and artists "build just about anything" locally. 3D printing, laser cutting/etching, electronics, software - gear and knowledgable friends.
Very cool. Does Maui have the population to support it?

Jerry Isdale said:
I'm working on setting up a maker space on Maui.... mauiMakers.com That in itself isn't an invention, there are similar spaces around the world, but we are trying to bring the means for digital manufacturing (fab labs) to the islands. This will let inventors and artists "build just about anything" locally. 3D printing, laser cutting/etching, electronics, software - gear and knowledgable friends.
Time will tell. I'm not trying for a TechShop(tm) with millions in capital and tens-o-thousands of sqft. I doubt the whole state could support that. But a hacker/makerspace only needs 10-30 contributing members to be functional, depending on expenses. I helped start CrashSpace.org in LA this past year and its running well with about that number of members. I think we have a great community of techies and artists here and lots of folks have expressed interest.
I'd love to see spaces on the other islands too. There's been a listing for a Honolulu space on hackerspaces.org for a long while but I haven't gotten a response from the url.
I do wish there were on on Honolulu! Not that I'd use it much, I'd just be happy it was here!

Jerry Isdale said:
Time will tell. I'm not trying for a TechShop(tm) with millions in capital and tens-o-thousands of sqft. I doubt the whole state could support that. But a hacker/makerspace only needs 10-30 contributing members to be functional, depending on expenses. I helped start CrashSpace.org in LA this past year and its running well with about that number of members. I think we have a great community of techies and artists here and lots of folks have expressed interest.
I'd love to see spaces on the other islands too. There's been a listing for a Honolulu space on hackerspaces.org for a long while but I haven't gotten a response from the url.

RSS

Sponsors

web design, web development, localization

© 2019   Created by Daniel Leuck.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service