TechHui

Hawaiʻi's Technology Community

Interesting post on the general dynamics of social networks.

TechHui's got about 350+ members, so there'd be 3.5 people who are contributing the content that sparks the interactions; another 35 or so that synthesize this content and interact with the content in an active manner; while the rest interact with the content in a more passive manner. But everyone benefits from all of this.

This rule pretty much applies to every party I've ever attended...

Views: 72

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think motivation and the social network features would really affect this overall percentage. I remembered this article from Yahoo Developer's Network that talked about participation models and reputation of social networks. Sites that effectively integrate such participation models into their social network create incentive and motivation for users to be involved with the community.
I think this is pretty close to true. There are active members that help the community in different ways. For example, there are some that post a lot and others that invite lots of people.
As Mika mentioned, TechHui seems to follow this rule relatively closely. There are about five people (including yourself) that frequently make quality posts and spur discussion. There are people that serve other functions including a few that are responsible for most of the invites. These are the local super-networkers. Finally, there are a handful that frequently recommend improvements to the site (design, functionality, rules, etc.) These are equally important.

Once we get a little bigger, say 1000 or so, I will start to post statistics for the benefit of those interested in niche social networks.
TechHui users seem to be more active than average for social network denizens.
@Cameron

Yes, that does appear to be the case. It would be very interesting to get a social scientist to examine the interactions on TechHui to see what makes it tick.

Me? I just like replying to anyone with a cool avatar!
Brooke: It would be very interesting to get a social scientist to examine the interactions on TechHui to see what makes it tick.

Its funny you mention this. We just agreed to log our public activity feed for analysis by Triple Helix. Its all public info (stuff you can see on the site), so no one has to worry about their private data or communication being shared. Hopefully their analysis will provide us will valuable information we can use to improve the site.
@Dan

Ah-ha... then it would be quite interesting to see the results of the Triple Helix analysis...
It'd be interesting to see how frequently people check the site... The few who have the most invested either by being principles/owners/or "owners" will push any site or social community out and beyond. The majority will lurk. To bridge the gap the Leuck's should add some passive interactive features like voting/karma. That'd surely change the dynamic and introduce another tier of usership.
That is a good idea. We will look into some widgets to support this.

Eric Nakagawa said:
To bridge the gap the Leuck's should add some passive interactive features like voting/karma. That'd surely change the dynamic and introduce another tier of usership.
We just added polls. A new poll will run on the front page every month. We are going to work on adding other interactive features. Thank you for the suggestion!
Eric Nakagawa said:
It'd be interesting to see how frequently people check the site... The few who have the most invested either by being principles/owners/or "owners" will push any site or social community out and beyond. The majority will lurk. To bridge the gap the Leuck's should add some passive interactive features like voting/karma. That'd surely change the dynamic and introduce another tier of usership.
the social mediasphere is a very interesting place! i think the 1% rule is pretty accurate there are so few generators vs consumers..
Haken: Does that mean we're the popular ones?
You are with us :-) Many thanks to you and the other content generators!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sponsors

web design, web development, localization

© 2024   Created by Daniel Leuck.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service