TechHui

Hawaiʻi's Technology Community

Have any of you used both? If so, I'm interested in how they compare. From my casual review of the Django docs, it seems to offer a very similar solution stack and approach (concentration on DRY, using naming conventions to eliminate the need for excessive config files, etc.)

Views: 82

Replies to This Discussion

Daniel -

I've used both Django and Rails considerably over the past year or so... As you say, they offer very similar stacks - from convention over configuration to being DRY, etc. I should preface this by saying I contribute to the Django project, have a bit more Python experience, but I really come from the Java/C++ world... so take everything here with a grain of salt.

As far as the community goes, I think the Rails community is a tad larger than the Django community, though I'm sure the Python community > Ruby community. For one, there's quite a number of bloggers (from Ryan Berg to Dr. Nic) to screencasts (Railscasts) that the Django community has only recently been getting. Not to mention, Rails is really the dominant web framework for Ruby whereas the Python community is split between Django, TurboGears, Pylons, etc.

As for coding specifics, there's quite a number of differences between the two frameworks... from Active Record to the DjangoORM to routing to REST interfaces to you name it. ;) What type of comparison are you looking for exactly? :)
Hi Ryan. Welcome to TechHui!

Thank you for the detailed reply.

What type of comparison are you looking for exactly? :)

I was just curious if the frameworks are in direct competition, which seems to be the case based on your reply, or if they are targeting different project types.

> but I really come from the Java/C++ world...

So do I :-) I do most of my work in Java and C#. In terms of scripty frameworks I've worked with Zope and recently played around a bit with RoR.
Daniel -

There was a time when I first got out of grad school that I was going to the JUG meetings at Post. I recall seeing your name on the Yahoo coder's list a few times... are you guys still meeting? I haven't stared at Java code since my last Hibernate/Spring/SpringMVC project - almost 2 years ago - well, aside from the maintenance I do on it. :) If you want to know any comparisons of specifics, feel free to ask and I'll try my best to answer.
I recall seeing your name on the Yahoo coder's list a few times... are you guys still meeting?

Absolutely. Sam Joseph coordinates meetings every month. The last talk I did was on Flex vs. Silverlight (source here.)

RSS

Sponsors

web design, web development, localization

© 2021   Created by Daniel Leuck.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service