TechHui

Hawaiʻi's Technology Community

Yesterday AA started offering internet service on their Boeing 767-200 aircraft. It costs $12.95 per flight. JetBlue introduced this on some flights earlier this year, but it was limited to email and IM.

Its about time! I thought by now all the major airlines would offer some kind of internet access. The technology has been there for a long time.

Views: 21

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Aircell (the company providing the internet connection for AA's planes) uses a radio connection to the ground; they claim 92 ground sites. Two other options for internet on planes are satellite and cellular. Yes, even though they claim your cell phone interferes with navigation, they're considering using the cell network to provide an internet connection. Until airlines start using the satellite option, it won't help us much in the islands.

The tricky part is figuring out what to allow and what to block. I don't want to be censored, but I really don't want to listen to people having laggy Skype conversations at 36000 feet. Maybe allow outgoing connections to SSH, SMTP, HTTP, POP3, and HTTPS. Lots of ports missing there, and a few that might be good for some discussion (I only put 22 in there for selfish reasons). Anyone know what's allowed on American?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sponsors

web design, web development, localization

© 2024   Created by Daniel Leuck.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service