I am a CENG major and don't have much experience with the ICS department. I will list three things regarding the CENG department instead:
1. Many courses are only offered 1 semester a year
2. Only 1 undergraduate professor
3. Outdated software used in labs
1. Unable to get certain classes to fit schedule
2. Assignments taking alot of time to do, since we have to learn the materials by ourselves.
3. Having a non "developer" computer puts us at a disadvantage when trying to load anything to do a timed assignment.
Three ways that the UH ICS program could improve, in my opinions could be:
1. Making some earlier classes available. Some may enjoy later classes as it could allow them to sleep in more, or give them more time to study in the day, however, I feel as though there should also be the option of taking some classes earlier, as it can interfere with many student's work schedule.
2. Some more classes that provide specific graduation requirements could also be nice as well. I feel as though more ICS classes should provide its students with WI or even perhaps OC credits if it matches what they do in the class, and it doesn't help that many required classes don't even count towards other credits unlike some majors where their required classes provide them with many of these credits.
3. I do feel as though the lower level classes either didn't do enough to prepare me for the next level of classes, or that there is too much of a "knowledge gap" between classes. What I mean by this is that it feels as though there was something that I maybe should have learned prior to a taking a class but just haven't gone over in the lower level classes at all. The flipped classroom structure may not help with this either. Even though you do have lectures available to you at any time, which is a plus, I feel as though it could lead to students taking longer to digest information as they cannot immediately ask the professor for clarification/explanation and have to wait for the next class period to ask.
This only applies to computer engineering
1. stop teaching us outdated stuff
2. hire more faculty
3. keep giving us interesting electives to take.
Three ways that the UH ICS program could improve include:
1. Making the program more affordable.
2. Offer more courses to help us become full stack web developers.
3. Offer more internship opportunities for employers in Hawaii.