TechHui

Hawaiʻi's Technology Community

What are three good things that the UH ICS program is providing for its students?

If you can only think of one thing, that's OK too.

Views: 8014

Replies to This Discussion

Here are three good things about being a UH ICS student from my own personal experience:

1. A variety of clubs relating to different areas of Computer Science to appeal to a wider amount of people.
  2. A communal space for ICS students to meet and network with others.
  3. Different events and opportunities on campus to expand knowledge or get help from professionals.

Three good things the UH UCS program is providing for its students include 

1) providing tutoring through the Learning Emporium for ICS 111, ICS 141, and ICS 211,

2) providing a place for collaboration and studying through the ICSpace,

3) teaching students various programming languages.

1. Very Organized.

2. Help students learn some actual skills and ideas so that they can use them in their workplace.

3. Helpful clubs that are available without spending a penny.

1. The professors are very on point about teaching the material, and I enjoy their teaching style.

2. Seems to cover coding languages that are being used today.

3. Some ICS class semester calendars seem to always be prepared and accessible to all students so they can prepare effectively ahead of time.

Three positive things I have noticed about the UH ICS program in my short time here:

First, there seems to be a lot of effort to replicate real world environments which is really valuable for learning. The second is that accommodations are made for students to learn in the environment they are most comfortable or interested in (Linus/Mac/Windows for instance). Lastly, there is a good variety of higher level coursework to allow specialization by the student in areas they find most interesting.

ACM clubs and competitions.

TAs for almost every class.

Gerald.

I think three good things about being an UH ICS student is that

1 - You get free Microsoft software.

2 - You meet many diverse people in Hawaii and in the program.

3 - You learn to see technology in ways for the community and Hawaii.

Three good things about being a UH ICS Student

1.  You start to learn how to learn the moment you start school as a first year college student.  

2.  Building long-lasting relationships with your professors, TAs, and especially your fellow students. 

3.  You learn a whole lot about what it takes to be a software developer in the general sense.

Three good things about being a UH ICS student. 

I have only bought one textbook as an ICS student. Most professors seem to use free, online resources to help with learning. 

ICS 314 is teaching about how to build a professional presence online, make a portfolio and participate in open source software. All of which I was attempting to learn about on my own before the class so learning it from a professor has made it seem less daunting. 

So far all of my professors and TAs were extremely accommodating and helpful to me, which is nice considering the amount of work we need to do for each class. 

1. The amount of assistance and resources available for additional help that is needed. After only taking 2 or 3 programming classes, I have utilized open labs, my classmates, instructors, and TAs more times than I can count, and can expect to utilize these resources for my future semesters as well. 

2. Being very welcoming to people that want to learn or want a brief introduction to the subject to see if it is something that they want to pursue. The introductory class is very lighthearted with the projects, and makes learning the syntax and theory a lot more fun than other introductory classes.

3. The opportunity to have certain specializations within the department. There are a diverse range of classes available that allow students to diversify into certain disciplines/specializations that seem interesting to them. 

1) The ICS program fosters a collaborative atmosphere. Everyone is willing to help if only you ask.

2) Multiple ICS tracks. There are currently 6 ICS degree tracks which cover a broad range of specializations. And even if you choose one path, the electives required by each degree give you room to explore other areas in CS that interest you.
3) No textbooks, no problem. College is expensive as is, let alone the cost of multiple hundred-dollar textbooks.

1. The professors have experience under actual firms that they can relay to us ICS students that will be useful when we obtain a career. 

2. The various resource access we get under the program, this includes networking and software such as Office and various IDE's.

3. The extra curricular activities is also abundant providing rich experience and exposure to the types of careers we will one day go and pursue.  

RSS

Sponsors

web design, web development, localization

© 2020   Created by Daniel Leuck.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service