TechHui

Hawaiʻi's Technology Community

What are three good things that the UH ICS program is providing for its students?

If you can only think of one thing, that's OK too.

Views: 7303

Replies to This Discussion

1. Many effective online resources that are free to the student, over expensive paper textbooks.

2. Qualified professors that teach care about how much students learn.

3. Good curriculum that ensures the student understands the process and not just the answer.

1. Learning how to code in many useful programming languages.
2. Professors care about your course work quality but also they care about your future.
3. Many resources are available to you are free on campus.

1. You get to learn cs in Hawaii.

2. You learn new technologies and will be able to showcase it with projects

3. Being able to meet new people

Three good things that the UH ICS program provides for students is:

1. A positive and outgoing group of professors ready and willing to teach their students. Positive and outgoing professors that willingly teach should not be taken for granted, if you've ever had a professor without one of these qualities the class becomes less of a learning environment and more of a stressful one. 

2. A healthy and growing community cultivated by the program, professors, and students alike. I've only met a few students outside of class who were also in the UH ICS program, being as it's my first semester since transferring, but their reactions are always kind and welcoming which I can truly appreciate. 

3. The large amount of free resources available to us, the students. Whats more important to me is the resources we can use outside of class, the tutors, teacher assistants, and even events. All of which makes it easier to get help and make new connections with others in this field of study. 

Three good things that the UH ICS program is providing for its students:

1. The faculty and staff are very knowledgeable and approachable.

2. ICSpace, it provides a great place for students to study and unwind.

3. The faculty train you not only in computer science, but also how to make yourself marketable and competitive when seeking a job after program completion.

1. Learning a skill that can be molded to be useful in countless different ways.

2. Having an abundance of outside material to reference for any problems you run into.

3. Understanding first hand how changes in technology affected the past, and how they will continue to affect the future.

1. Many professors give good advice from years of industry experience.

2. Lots of help outside of class.

3. Multiple clubs with different interests to further explore computer science.

1. Free or discount prices for programs

2. Unique opportunities that Hawaii presents for students, such as government research for pearl harbor

3. Providing ee students a chance to join computer science programs

1. There are many student groups you can join to improve your skills and meet new people.
2. Many classes have TAs who are often available to offer help.
3. Study area in POST is an available workspace where you can also find help.

What are three good things that the UH ICS program is providing for its students?

Although I don't know too much about the ICS program since am a junior in computer engineering, but here are some things I found great about the department:

1. The professors seem to be very enthusiastic about the topics that they are teaching. 

2. The free resources being offered through the department are of course very nice and useful.

3. Department offers a good space for ICS students to hang out, study and socialize through the ICSpace.

1. You learn something useful all the time. I am self-taught and have been programming as my primary source of income for the last five years, in ICS111 (Introduction to Computer Science I) I really did not expect to learn anything, but sure enough I did, try-catch blocks. Not knowing of a better way at the time, I commented out all the exceptions in an IP-Geolocation library (MaxMind GeoIP) because, if the IP address was not found in the database, an exception would be thrown and the server would return a 500 error since I was not catching the error. Looking back, I find it silly that I did that, but hey, that's what learning is all about.
2. Being a student opens up many opportunities, some of which are only available to students. ACManoa is a great example, the various groups within ACManoa have workshops and field trips related to their interests, such as touring a data center, or a resume workshop where industry recruiters review your resume and give you insider tips/suggestions.
3. ICSpace (POST third floor) is a great resource to ICS students. Since it's only for the ICS department, if you ever get stuck on something, there is a good chance that someone in there can help point you in the right direction.

Top three good things about being an ICS student are:

1. The process of learning new programming languages and how computers work instead of just working with the basic interface. We have a chance to actually understand what the computer is doing and how programs are being executed.

2. ICS has very highly motivated and diverse learning community. There are so many things to learn about computers and everyone i met who is an ICS student, all have different backgrounds in what they are educated or have experience in.

3. I love learning about logic and creating functions/methods/programs. Creating something from scratch and being proud to have a finished product that makes complicated problems simplified.

RSS

Sponsors

web design, web development, localization

© 2019   Created by Daniel Leuck.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service