1. The professors and TAs come across as passionate about Computer Science which is encouraging as a student.
2. The ICS program provides a variety of resources and help to ICS students.
3. The ICS program helps to provide opportunities and skills needed for internships, etc.
1. ICS program provides opportunities for students inside and outside school.
2. Meeting a lot of people in the same industry.
3. Learning from great TA's and Professors.
1) This program encourages teamwork; while you can work on projects solo, working with other students and even professors provide the most benefits.
2) Recommended resources are typically provided by the professors and staff, thus saving money on items such as textbooks.
3) The program also helps teach students on finding different ways to approach a problem, since there are instances in which one route might be favored over the other.
1. There are clubs for students to join to explore the various fields of computer science and to meet other people.
2. There are lots of career opportunities out there because technology is always changing.
3. Learn the tools and skills needed to succeed and to become a professional programmer.
1) Amazing professors and advisors who are able to genuinely help you and guide you in planning out your career path while at UH.
2) Computer-related clubs that are enjoyable and relevant to the offered ICS classes.
3) Networking with students, professors, and professionals who share the same passion for computer science.
1. Learning from professors who also work / worked in the field and have a lot of experience, which makes them good teachers.
2. Learning to program in different languages. I hadn't had any experience before I came to UH, and it is very interesting to learn about the different languages and how they work / how to program in them.
3. There are always people ready to help you. It is encouraged that you collaborate with your peers and the professors and TA's are often open to help with any questions, which makes me feel welcome to ask any question if I get stuck.
1. There is a big pool of career paths you can take.
2. Getting to know more people who are in the major/industry.
3. Access to knowledgeable professors in the department .
Since I am a CENG student, I will list three good things about the CENG department.
1. The teachers are knowledgeable and explain topics well.
2. Good homework coding problems for practice/learning.
3. Having interesting elective classes such as Machine learning, Reverse engineering, etc.
Since I do not have a lot of experience with UH's ICS program, I will list three good things I believe the CENG department is providing for its students.
1. I think it's great that the College of Engineering holds its own career fair that can help expose students to the work field and internship/job opportunities.
2. The EE/CENG department also has a tutoring program that's available to all students and helps with many of the prerequisite classes and lower-level EE classes.
3. There are study rooms in Holmes Hall, where students can use textbooks for many courses and computers/printers for academic work.
The amount of resources available online.
Free softwares from Mircosoft.
The friends we meet along the way.
1. Excellent advising. Gerald is very knowledgeable and a phenomenal boon to schedule planning.
2. The faculty are all really knowledgeable in their areas. Everyone feels like an expert in their field.
3. The department signal boosts extracurricular activities and job opportunities, providing emails whenever information is made available to them.
1) Connections to people in the industry.Emails are frequently sent our by Gerald for any intership, job, or scholarship oppertunities
2) In my two years as an ICS student I have not had an ICS professor who was not passionate about their area of expertise.
3) In my experience, ICS classes focus on not just teaching you the material but preparing you for a real career in the industry