TechHui

Hawaiʻi's Technology Community

What are three ways that the UH ICS program could improve?

If you can think of more than three things, then please limit your response to your top three!

Views: 10408

Replies to This Discussion

The paramount issue that I've run into as a student in the UH ICS program would be the limited availability of online classes.  Our passion is technology and we seem to be the best demographic for that type of learning environment.  Another experienced issue would be the requirement of having to accomplish a two year language.  It seems that the many programming languages that we learn should satisfy such a requirement.  Finally, I feel that there should be more courses made available over the summer, even if the course ran through both summer sessions.

Three negative aspects of the UH ICS program:

1. Some courses seem to only be offered once a year.

2. Not enough special courses meeting graduation requirements (eg. WI). 

3. Small desks work for 10" netbooks, but aren't well suited for people with laptops 12" or larger.

1. Offering classes with earlier and flexible hours, especially for the late classes.

1. I think that books aren't that helpful for me when it comes to coding. I'd personally prefer to watch a video of someone explaining what a particular function does, and examples on how to use it.

2. I always wanted to do practice problems so that I can get better at coding, but I don't really know what websites are good. It would be really cool to grab a list of useful websites that could enhance your coding.

3. It would be cool to have more instructors that could teach different languages.

What are three bad things about being an ICS student?

1.  There are no courses offered in Python in the ICS department here at UH.

2.  I wish there were more women in the ICS department, ICS seems to be a predominantly male field.

3.  There are little to no classes that offer the Ethics, Oral Communication, and Writing Intensive requirement to graduate.

1. There are expensive textbooks.

2. Laptops required for some courses.

3. Classes are sometimes late in the afternoon.

1) It can be stressful. You must be willing to spend a lot of time on problems, homework, and projects.

2) Class Availability and prerequisites. You need to really plan out what classes you need to take for the semester.

3) Depending on the class and who is teaching it, you may have to learn the material on your own.

1. Some classes require you to spend upwards of $1000 on a laptop.

2. I would like to see more 400-level courses being offered per semester.

3. Based on my experiences alone, some of the ICS classes can be a bit hand-holdy. It would be nice if class projects were a bit more open-ended.

1) The difficulty of each class varies a lot. Some are hard with a difficult work load while others are the complete opposite. Sometimes it feels like your skills have not improved as much as you like.

2) The fact that courses are only taught once a year. If you do not follow the program perfectly you could end up waiting a whole year before getting the chance to enroll in the courses that you need.

3) The cost of some required material (textbooks) that are not used in the class.

1. Class times are often only offered really late as compared to other classes that I take.

2. Required to take a lot of prerequisites/elective courses for major requirement.

3. Homeworks in general are extremely time-consuming, not allowing for a lot of time to be spent elsewhere.

1. ICS courses are generally very time consuming. Students are always spending more time on homeworks and projects than students of other majors; generally coding or trying to understand concepts which were gone over in a short lecture.

2. UH ICS course structure is unstable; flipped courses require students to spend even more time at home doing lectures AND homeworks, projects, etc., some courses are available only once a year, not enough professors to teach courses, graduation requirements keep changing.

3. Investing in hardware.

1. Classes are often very dependent on each other, so they provide very little flexibility with making a class schedule.

2. Homeworks often require access to higher level computing capability than most other classes, costing the ICS student more money over the average student.

3. Lots of independent learning and time spent in front of a computer for assignments.

RSS

Sponsors

web design, web development, localization

© 2020   Created by Daniel Leuck.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service