Three good things about being a UH ICS student
1) We study science. We are required to take high level math such as calculus, we are also required to take physics and chemistry. All of these subjects are extremely fascinating because once you understand them, the blinders are off and you see the world in a microscopic way. You realize something as simple as a rock is unimaginably complex.
2) If you love ICS then you are just playing all day. I love it so much that a lot of my spare time is spent learning new programming languages and methods. Computer Science is magic and your phone is a wand. You can control a robot in China from Hawaii with your phone wand, Harry Potter can't do that.
3) I don't care about the money side of computer science, but it's too obvious not to mention. ICS students will make more money on average than almost any other major available. It's very common for ICS students to receive a $70,000+ job offer soon after they graduate.
1. Having a community of experienced and knowledgable professors, CS majors and the ACM club to reach out to when we need help.
2. The many career and internship opportunities that students are often notified about through email and other UH job postings.
3. There are a variety of courses tailored to students' interests. i.e., networking, security, game development, and more.
1) Learning from good professors because out of the different department classes, I personally feel that the ICS department professors and instructors are really great people to learn from
2) A community that is willing to help each other out in both ICS and other subjects
3) The different extracurricular opportunities that help build towards the professional resume
1. ACM and its SIGs. It really helps students to figure out what aspect of computer science that they're passionate about. You're also able to meet people with similar interests, as well as get advice/help from others.
2. The different teaching styles, from lectures to flipped classroom models, as well as the opportunities to work individually as well as in groups. Each instructor is different, and I like it when they share their experiences as it gives some insight into the industry. Having these different styles and opportunities helps you to build up your soft skills alongside your hard skills, as you learn to adapt to each environment, work and communicate with others, work on time management, develop problem-solving skills, etc.
3. The free software.
There are definitely some great things about being an ICS student. Here are three of them:
Three good things that the UH ICS program is providing for its students are:
Talent won't go to waste as UH's ICS program allows students to find their passion by joining clubs and participating in events.
It's very easy to socialize with others in the computer science major given that we have the ICSpace. You can make friends with people that have similar interests.
The classes here teach us how to do our work efficiently and effectively. This helped me manage time better so I could work on other assignments.
1. I like that the UH ICS program offers an "umbrella" club for those who are interested in whatever field they wish to go in - whether it be cyber-security, algorithms, game development, or so on. I think that these are wonderful opportunities for people to add to their portfolio, and allows them to get engaged with other students who are interested in the same things as them, or even get introduced to new concepts that computer science can be applied to.
2. I love how challenging the Professors are. Nobody ever grows while being complacent and not facing what makes them afraid. Although you come into class knowing that the work will be difficult, you understand that it's only going to make you better in your field.
3. I love the network and communication that the ICS major offers. Constant news of internships and opportunities definitely puts you ahead of the game in terms of knowing what skills you need to gain in order to become proficient enough to qualify for whatever you wish to go into!
1) There are a lot of extracurricular clubs that can help with finding a niche within such a huge field (Grey Hats, ACM, etc.)
2) Free software that is provided for all students.
3) A lot of opportunities to work in the professional field before even graduating
1. As an ICS student, we build connections with other peers that are aiming towards the same industry as ourself.
2. In some respects, ethical issues are found in problems of development and we learn to face it by trying to find an optimal balance.
3. We learn to meet deadlines and really manage our time to produce the best results
1. Some computer science professors are very kind and helpful, they clearly want you to learn.
2. Academic advising: Gerald is a great advisor; he's honest and gives good advice on what classes you should take when.
3. The curriculum can be tough, but it pushes you to learn more. Accomplishing the challenges of computer science is very rewarding.
I personally love how UH ICS has the ACM group, which encourages every student to join and open opportunities that we didn't know anything about. They often host events that bring people together to meet with each other, and on certain days, it's more than just bonding with your fellow students, such as bringing in professionals to give speech on how to get a job that suits you etc. In addition to that, the ICS professors are very knowledgeable in their criteria and provide lots of helps to their students. The ICS students get to learn many different things, not just from their teachers, but their TAs, fellow mates, and ACM activities.
What are three good things that the UH ICS program?
1. There are great professors who are passionate and kind but professional.
2. There are a lot of teaching assistants that understand the notions well. They are always passionate and kind to help
3. There are great computer labs where we can learn by ourselves and ,at the same time, learn by each other.