1. One thing that I appreciate about the UH ICS program is the inclusion of group work and in-class discussions as a part of the learning process. Not does this make the learning experience more enjoyable, but it also incentivizes students to study more effectively in order to contribute to their group.
2. Something else that I appreciate is the faculty. In particular, I appreciate how the professors are receptive to feedback and are willing to experiment with different teaching methods. I admire their constant dedication to improving the experience for future students.
1. There is a great ICS community at UH. Resources are easily accessible and there are numerous ways to contact professors or fellow peers. The work environment is very friendly. TechHui is one such example.
2. Great variety in courses. There are mandatory courses in the first two years of ICS. However, when the 400 classes are reached, there are many diverse courses. Students do not need to follow the same course path as everyone near the end. Students have the ability to branch out and choose what they want to do.
3. Great professors/TAs and small "population" of students (compared to other departments). Professors are very helpful and descriptive in their teaching. Due to the smaller population of students in this department, professors or TAs have more time to help each student. ICS can be challenging after all, and access to any form of help or guidance is crucial.
On the flip side, the satisfaction of finally solving the problem, learning creating efficient and elegant solutions is one of my favorite things about being an ICS student. I think this time is an incredible opportunity to develop problem solving skills that apply to my coding skills, future career and everyday life. Also, I believe that building a background in technology will give me the power to make significant impacts in any job or industry I choose to work in.
1. Tries to prepare us for the real world by making us work with other people and allowing us to gain some help from these professors that have so much experience in the field
2. There’s a variety of paths you can go down like security, networking, etc
3. It is continuously evolving, meaning there won’t be the same material being taught every semester . You can learn non stop
1. Hard work is rewarded, in terms of both one's grade and experience gained.
2. The TAs are fantastic and always reply to questions in a timely manner.
3. The professors are nice and easy to talk to about class difficulties.
As a new UH ICS student, I'm excited with all the cool things that the program has to offer! This includes:
1) Easy to Find/awesome Advising
Scheduling an appointment with our ICS adviser, Gerald Lau, was super easy and very helpful. Meeting with him helped me get a good idea about what my pathway to graduation is going to be like.
2) Passionate professors
Although It's only my first semester, so far all my professors seem interested and passionate about the material, which definitely helps motivate students to succeed.
3) Passionate students
Similar to number 2, all the ICS majors seem passionate and capable regarding CS, and it makes me want to up my game to keep up!
1) Opportunities to network and learn
I don't know about other majors, but it seems easy to find opportunities to network and learn. There are many discord/slack groups that update you on different jobs/internship positions and professors are always helping students grow.
2) Exposure to new technologies
3)Helpful students and professors
ICS students are very helpful and will explain things in detail. Sometimes I find students can explain things better than my TA or professor regarding certain subjects (not that professors/ TAs are not helpful as well).
1. Intelligent and articulate Professors who are willing to help but not give out answers.
For me, having to grind through a problem and explain it myself is one of the reasons I'm in computer science.
2. TA's that are incredibly helpful to talk to and aspire to be like.
Many of the TA's I've had in the few classes I've had have been incredibly wonderful, understanding, helpful, and inspiring in my ICS journey. I aspire to be able to be like them.
3. Gerald Lau our Lord Hokage.
If any of you haven't had the pleasure of talking to Gerald yet he's a great man to have as the ICS advisor. Incredibly helpful and a fun guy to be around.
1. The professors are experienced and interesting.
2. Learning practical and theoretical concepts.
3. The ICS space is cool.
1. Professors and counseling give a lot of information and insight into the tech/CS industry. On many certain topics that are discussed in class, the professors that I've had were able to give examples of how the topic we're talking about relates and how it's used in the real world. Makes it a lot easier to understand the topic, especially if it's theoretical when you have a real-world example you can compare it to.
2. I really like the "flipped" classroom style some classes of mine used. I personally have a hard time taking notes and being able to completely focus on the lecture at the same time, so having screencasts that I can rewind back however many times I want is extremely helpful.
3. My ICS classes really push me to become a learner. The quizzes and group work really force and pressure you to understand the concepts.