TechHui

Hawaiʻi's Technology Community

We spent a lot of time moving from PHP to Rails for our online community framework and we have created a much more maintainable system, however in getting stuck in Rails 1.0 I feel we have sort of missed the REST boat.

Looking at all the widget plugins in Ning it seems to emphasize a different direction from the one we are still hacking away at in Prometheus (the codebase that underlies disCourse - http://discourse.ics.hawaii.edu).

I'm trying to work out a pathway that will allow us to create interesting widgets to help support social processes, although what I'm wondering at present is whether Ning can support file uploads and filing of multiple wiki pages within groups (something our Prometheus framework focuses on).

Views: 14

Replies to This Discussion

> I'm trying to work out a pathway that will allow us to create interesting
> widgets to help support social processes

I think ideally you should use an OpenSocial container, even though open social is still very beta-ish. Ning is an open social container. I suppose you could implement the API yourself and make disCourse an OpenSocial container. This would not be a trivial effort, but it would certainly be educational!

> whether Ning can support file uploads

Yes. You can see examples of multiple file uploads in the forum post code if you request the code for your network.

> and filing of multiple wiki pages within groups

Ning says they will have wiki support in the next major upgrade due in a few months.

I'm also hoping for a code block feature with code colorizing similar to Confluence's code macro.

RSS

Sponsors

web design, web development, localization

© 2024   Created by Daniel Leuck.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service