TechHui

Hawaiʻi's Technology Community

mod_rails is a new alternative to mongrel, thin, etc that claims to be faster, more robust and easier to set up. Ryan Bates from Railscasts has a video on the setup

It is an apache module so if you are using ngnix or lightspeed, you would need to switch.

For me, I was already using Apache as a proxy to pack of mongrels. The switch was very easy and it seems to be working well. One thing I haven't worked out yet is where my production logs are being written. Ostensibly, apache should be writing them but I am trying to figure out where.

mod_rails seems to be very well done and thoroughly tested plus it has support from a lot of important members of the community. Given Zed's departure and various challenges/issues many have had with mongrel, this might be a good alternative going forward.

Views: 23

Replies to This Discussion

Your production log is in your Rails application's log folder - just like where it was before. :)
Once I read the manual, I realized that it was a permissions issue: "By default, Passenger runs Rails applications as the owner of environment.rb. So the log file can only be written to if that user has write permission to the log file. Please chmod or chown your log file accordingly."

By the way, for anyone who is interested, I have been using mod_rails for a month, added in 4 new sites, increased traffic by a factor of 10x and everything has worked really well, no problems. Much happier with mod_rails than mongrel.

RSS

Sponsors

web design, web development, localization

© 2024   Created by Daniel Leuck.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service