TechHui

Hawaiʻi's Technology Community

Being a recent "switcher" from being stereotypical PC user, when I started using my MacBook Pro in recent months I found some things missing in OSX that I was used to in Window's laptops ... one thing being a presentation power mode so that the MacBook Pro screen wouldn't dim and black out without any mouse activity. To be honest I wasn't using it for doing presentations, but I was watching a show on Hulu. It was irritating when the screen would keep on blacking out during an exciting scene.

Finally I figured out how to set the MBP to have a "presentation" power mode. In System Preferences, click on "Energy Saver". When set to settings for "Battery", set Optimization to "Custom". Set sleep options to an hour or never. Under Options uncheck "slightly dim the display when using this power source". Also uncheck the next option, too, for auto reducing brightness.

Then the next time you want to watch Hulu or actually do a presentation, click on the battery icon in the upper right hand corner of the screen and set the Power Mode to "Custom".

Perhaps there was an easier way to set an MBP to presentation power mode. But I never found it. This worked for me.

Views: 821

Replies to This Discussion

That's what I do, too.
Hi, do you have the new uni-body macbook pro?
How do you like it?
I'm tempted to get a macbook pro too..or maybe a mac pro..but i think
i rather have a laptop for now.
Anyone know how long it takes to encode h.264 videos on a macbook pro 2.4ghz?

Finally, are you happy you swithced to mac?

Thanks!
Hi Darin,

I have the previous generation 15" MBP. After the first couple of months, I became a happy and contented switcher and now much prefer using Macs. One thing though that I still haven't gotten expert at yet is Mac-styled keyboard shortcuts. I was much quicker on Windows with keyboard shortcuts and knew more shortcuts. However, Quicksilver is great! And the Mac search functions are light years faster than WinXP's.

Truman
Hi Darin,

Hope you don't mind me jumping in.

I have the new late-2008 uni-body 15" macbookpros. I used to use Debian, but now I'm very happy with the switch to macosx. I still have a terminal, and can do a bunch of command line stuff. But I much prefer to use all the GUI tools for maintenance. Otherwise, I use as much open source applications as possible. I.e. OpenOffice, MacFuse, etc. I do have Fink installed, but I rarely use it. I even use Quicktime for videos and iTunes for my mp3's. The Perian and Flip4Mac plugins provide support for all of the important codecs. There's really nothing missing with macosx. Best of all, everything just works.

The hardware I got is mostly perfect except for one thing. I get a screen blink (intermittently) using the onboard Nvidia 9400 chipset. I used to use the Nvidia 9600 discreet chipset, which doesn't have this problem. It seems a lot of people are experiencing this problem according the Apple forums. Aside from this, I'm very happy with my switch to a mac.

--jc
this guy was a switcher/slider and has a podcast. i am learning stuff about the OS and different apps. other than firefox and ilife.

http://typicalmacuser.com/wordpress

Mac101
http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/

tips
http://www.mactricksandtips.com/2009/01/introduction-to-ilife-a-new...

RSS

Sponsors

web design, web development, localization

© 2024   Created by Daniel Leuck.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service