TechHui

Hawaiʻi's Technology Community

Hi all,

I'm about to buy the latest macbook pro (to be released next week). I read some horror stories about doa systems. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on ways I can validate the new laptop has no defects. I can test the wired ethernet and wireless 802.11b since I'm a student and I can test those at UH. But I don't have any wireless router, so is there any where I can test 802.11a/g/n access?

Also, any recommendations on software tools to verify all of the mbp hardware is working? I heard some older revs of the mbp had issues with audio output and LCD display.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

--jc

Views: 20

Replies to This Discussion

Hmm, that seems like one of those things they'd check before it left the factory... I can't say that I personally know anyone who has had a DOA Mac system, and my own experience was very nice. I've only had a couple of problems with my MacBook (but I bought mine a year ago), and they were all fixed with software/firmware updates in the first few months I owned it.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Seems you should be able to find a Wireless G connection (isn't there some free WiFi in Honolulu somewhere? I know the Hawaiian Air Premier Club has free wifi, but that might be a little inaccessible unless you're at the airport.
Chris Runnells said:
Hmm, that seems like one of those things they'd check before it left the factory...

Yes, but there could be damage during delivery, I ordered this computer online. Just want to be sure. I've tested everything except the DisplayPort and all of the wireless network. So most everything seems to be ok.

Chris Runnells said:
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Seems you should be able to find a Wireless G connection (isn't there some free WiFi in Honolulu somewhere? I know the Hawaiian Air Premier Club has free wifi, but that might be a little inaccessible unless you're at the airport.

I tested the wireless network at UH and that works fine. It's a little slow to connect sometimes. The signal is very good. The only problem is I can't determine which protocol is being used. My downloads are pretty fast, so I would assume an 802.11g connection. I would really like to test the 802.11n connection, but I don't have a wireless router.

Also, do you know how to determine which protocol is being used by the wireless network? I can't seem to find anything in the computer that has this information.

Thanks for the suggestions...
--jc
I agree with Chris. We have bought four MacBook Pros over the past couple years and had no problems.
Take it in to your local apple store, and ask them if they have an 802.11n network you can try and connect on. The apple store is always more than accommodating to their customers, even if you bought it online.

RSS

Sponsors

web design, web development, localization

© 2024   Created by Daniel Leuck.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service