TechHui

Hawaiʻi's Technology Community

Firefox had been cluttering my desktop with temporary files whenever I opened a pdf or torrent or some other thing. FF has a menu setting in preferences that allows you to change where files are downloaded, but I couldn't find anything about temporaries.

After some digging, I found a web page that told me that FF's temporary files directory is actually Safari's download directory! A strange way to deal with the problem, but fair enough. It turns, out, however, that this was true in Safari 2, but isn't true anymore in Safari 3. Rather than installing an old version of Safari just to fix your FF desktop-cluttering problems, you can install Camino and change its download directory (I chose /tmp -- Linux-style) and when you open PDFs from FF now, your temporary files will go somewhere other than your desktop.

Just thought I'd post this because I had talked to some other people who had the same problem and were baffled by it. You can evidently set some tag in the properties of FF to delete temp files on exit, but I often keep FF open for a long time and would rather put them in /tmp where they disappear on reboot.

In other news, I just started using "Spaces" to get multiple screens on OS X and it's great. Particularly great that I can easily run full-screen instances of VMWare Fusion and OS X intelligently switches screens between Linux and OS X for me. One thing I haven't figured out though is how to tack a single window to always be visible. This is REALLY common in Linux window managers with multiple workspaces. Anybody know the answer?

Views: 9

Sponsors

web design, web development, localization

© 2024   Created by Daniel Leuck.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service