TechHui

Hawaiʻi's Technology Community

Ok... here's the deal.

I need to look into setting up and purchasing some new hardware. This is going to be for a Linux server, fedora Core (I guess..... it will be my first project of this nature. Anyone care to help ?) I am setting up a (thin?) client -server environment, mostly for the tons of free educational games and software for kids. (Anyone familiar with HOSEF and their project ? )

Also... years ago I remember a friend setting up a Linux server to be the file server for a windows network. Anyone familiar with this ? I am interested in having central file storage, backing up files, then even migrating the backups over to a remote machine (across the internet or network)

Other than my laptop computer purchased 2 years ago, I have not actually purchased a computer in about 7 years. (the only reason I picked my laptop other than it being cheap, was the neat button to turn off the built in mouse pad, otherwise I am constantly tapping it and doing things accidentally)

Since it has been so long since I really paid any attention to the hardware, I am looking at some of the names of processors and such, and realize none of it means anything to me any more. They are not very descriptive, or I don't understand what they are describing.

I am looking at this site to get a clue of pricing :
http://www.pricewatch.com/

I would prefer to deal locally, but would also like to know what I am looking at before I start talking.

Does anyone have links they can provide that visually shows the various CPU's scale of performance for speed ? How about some decent locally owned computer stores to get the hardware.

Also.. any of you Linux guru's that care to help out, I would really appreciate it.
THANKS !

Views: 31

Replies to This Discussion

Curtis,

The following is a good article about how to make your Linux box act as a file server for MS Windows clients using SAMBA: http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/sambaserver.shtml.

Stephen
The best bang for the buck can be found online at sites like NewEgg -- especially if you also have a ShipToHawaii account to help reduce your shipping expenses. It's nice to deal local whenever possible, but local shops just can't provide the selection that the mainland-based warehouses can.

If your Linux Server is merely a File Server, you can set up Samba in Fedora by activating the System>Administration>Samba applet, and enabling your shares, users, and authentication schemes.

It sounds like what you're really after, though, is setting up a beefy Linux Terminal Server as the main server, and hanging a bunch of thin-client (X-Windows) stations for display. Have you looked at sites such as k12ltsp.org?

If you need hands-on help, just drop me a line. I am a Fedora Ambassador, and am happy to provide assistance with Fedora or RedHat based solutions.

RSS

Sponsors

web design, web development, localization

© 2024   Created by Daniel Leuck.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service