TechHui

Hawaiʻi's Technology Community

I've been playing around with Linux for a while, learning through trial & error and reading up on articles/forums. The problem is that not all documentation out there is clear to everyone (I get stumped every now and then over what the heck the man pages are talking about).

So I've been wondering... are there any LUGs that meet regularly on Oahu? I've been trying to look for one but have never found one. Someone on another forum had told me that we used to have one and they would meet at HCC, but they just sort of died out.

Views: 131

Replies to This Discussion

I'm thinking that for now it should be once a month until we can get more speakers. I'll be sure to put it on the calendar as soon as I get the green light from Laurence. Then maybe if we get more speakers we could probably have it more often.

Thank you, Mika and Laurence, for making this possible!

Mika Leuck said:
Yes. That time is perfect. Will it be once a month? The first week of every month?
If you put it in the TechHui calendar I know we will get some extra people.
So I'm thinking Tuesdays at 6:30? Would that be alright, Mika?
I'm down for attending a LUG meeting. It's always so hard to find Linux users, even more so to find some who are willing to hold meetings.
Putting together a presentation for the first week of January is a little cramped for my schedule, as I'm going to be ramping up after a 6-week holiday shutdown.

Setting this up for the 3rd week of January or later would work better. Thanks!
Whenever you're ready we can do it. This is only a side thing so I don't want it affecting anyone's personal/professional lives.
Hi all,

'Finally back in the Captain's Chair after a 6-week holiday shutdown, and now have a handle on the backlog of work requests.

With my current load, I can put together a Linux presentation ("Exploring the Basics of Linux, using Fedora") for a meeting in February or beyond.

Hopefully others will come forward with their own presentations. Ubuntu guys? Python/Django on Linux guys? Amazon EC2/Remote Hosting guys? Embedded-System/Busybox/CrossCompiler guys? Bueller? Bueller?

The ideal schedule wouln't have presenters going up more frequently than once every 3 months.

I could help kickstart the LUG with monthly presentations until we reach critical mass, if necessary, but I don't want to give the impression that I'm controlling what goes on the LUG. "XX on Fedora" is just a facet useful things to do with Linux.

Let me know.
Hey guys, hope your holidays were great.

Ok, so I'm looking at the calendar... Is Feb 17th ok with you guys, Lauren and Mika? If so then I'll put something up on the calendar. Let me know.

Thanks

Laurence A. Lee said:
Hi all,

'Finally back in the Captain's Chair after a 6-week holiday shutdown, and now have a handle on the backlog of work requests.

With my current load, I can put together a Linux presentation ("Exploring the Basics of Linux, using Fedora") for a meeting in February or beyond.

Hopefully others will come forward with their own presentations. Ubuntu guys? Python/Django on Linux guys? Amazon EC2/Remote Hosting guys? Embedded-System/Busybox/CrossCompiler guys? Bueller? Bueller?

The ideal schedule wouln't have presenters going up more frequently than once every 3 months.

I could help kickstart the LUG with monthly presentations until we reach critical mass, if necessary, but I don't want to give the impression that I'm controlling what goes on the LUG. "XX on Fedora" is just a facet useful things to do with Linux.

Let me know.
Yes. That date is OK for me.

Jerome Madlangbayan said: Hey guys, hope your holidays were great.

Ok, so I'm looking at the calendar... Is Feb 17th ok with you guys, Lauren and Mika? If so then I'll put something up on the calendar. Let me know.
Works for me, too.

Mika Leuck said:
Yes. That date is OK for me.
Alright guys, the event for our first meet is up in the calendar. RSVP if possible to see if we can get a decent estimate on how many people are going to be attending.

Thanks.
Ok. So how often would you folks like to meet? Once a month? Once every 2?
LUAU has regular meetings at an event call Open Source Pizza.

Check the HOSEF-Announce list here:
http://lists.hosef.org/

Good discussions on the LUAU list as well. Feel free to join that and organize some more meet ups!

- Julian
What happened with the meetup? Iʻd be interested in attending.

RSS

Sponsors

web design, web development, localization

© 2024   Created by Daniel Leuck.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service