TechHui

Hawaiʻi's Technology and New Media Community

I recently met a social media expert at a local gathering. To protect his identity, we will call him Ring Tailed Lemur.

Me: "What do you do?"
Ring Tailed Lemur: "I'm a social media expert."
Me: "Interesting. What sort of work do you do with social media?"
Ring Tailed Lemur: "I have lots of friends on Facebook and I tell them about my customers' products."
Me: (friendly joking) "I'm sure that makes you very popular."
Ring Tailed Lemur: (serious face) "Yes, well. I think they like it."
...long uncomfortable silence...
Me: "Cool."

Tags: ring tail lemur, social media

Views: 32

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Self proclaimed Social Media Consultants make me wanna puke
Yeah! A Social Media Consultant! Yeah, dats da ticket!
You should be nice to social media consultants. After all they fuel this Facebook page building madness that gives geeks work. Frankly, I sometimes think the geeks sit around and make up ways to convince (fill in type) consultants that they need to (x) which requires coding. It's a neat trick, no? BTW, can any of you do a Twitter ap for my new social media company?
Hey Alex, I've actually been looking for a good reason to build a Twitter application. I'd be interested in hearing more about it.

Stephen
stephen /at/ slmcmahon /dot/ com

Alex Salkever said:
You should be nice to social media consultants. After all they fuel this Facebook page building madness that gives geeks work. Frankly, I sometimes think the geeks sit around and make up ways to convince (fill in type) consultants that they need to (x) which requires coding. It's a neat trick, no? BTW, can any of you do a Twitter ap for my new social media company?
Haha, this is a great post. I've had long discussions with so many of my friends about the barrier-to-entry in calling yourself a certain thing. Usually the title we've ended up discussing the most is "artist". There are just way too many people who consider themselves artists, and it appears like it's probably the same with "Social Media Expert". People want to belong and to have titles, without actually performing the work necessary to deserve the title. The equivalent in my world are probably crackpot mathematicians, which are few and far between, and ridiculously easily exposed. The less objective the topic, the harder it is to expose someone, but I'm pretty sure you just did it.

BTW, "To protect his identity, we will call him Ring Tail Lemur.", has surely never been uttered previously in the history of mankind.
That sounds familiar...

For someone who have built and facilitated online communities, researched computer supported collaboration and online self presentation, and studied human computer interaction, virtual teams, communication theories, usability and sociability of collaborative computer systems (I could go on, but it would make this sentence even more illegible) for over a decade it is rather awkward to see people who have 6 months experience as facebook and twitter users call themselves social media experts.

Well, there I got that off my chest :) Have a wonderful weekend everyone :)
If you haven't read it yet you might find this article on "Economic Experts" interesting "Learning How to Think - NYTimes.com" http://bit.ly/qKPnK
Great article Viil. A few of my favorite excerpts:
1. "The predictions of experts were, on average, only a tiny bit better than random guesses — the equivalent of a chimpanzee throwing darts at a board."
2. "In one experiment, clinical psychologists did no better than their secretaries in their diagnoses. "
3. "...a white rat in a maze repeatedly beat groups of Yale undergraduates in understanding the optimal way to get food dropped in the maze."

On an unrelated note, has anyone else noticed that heavy Twitter users often write shorter posts, even when using platforms that don't impose character limits? I wonder if making this observation makes me a social media expert.
One of our most popular packages is a two week consulting block that both enhances your XML synergy and provides webolicious viral multipliers with zero chance of getting digital herpes. Call me.

Alex Salkever said:
You should be nice to social media consultants. After all they fuel this Facebook page building madness that gives geeks work. Frankly, I sometimes think the geeks sit around and make up ways to convince (fill in type) consultants that they need to (x) which requires coding. It's a neat trick, no? BTW, can any of you do a Twitter ap for my new social media company?
Hilarious! You should have invited him to our panel! ;) By the way, I hope this SM expert isn't on TechHui, LOL!
I was actually joking. That said, lots of interesting twitter apps coming out right now that are not just another lame social thing. Interesting games, interesting ways for people to share information, essentially all like SMS on steroids. I am talking to a Twitter developer and have an idea for an app. The thing is, barriers to entry in Twitter apps are zero, less than zero, so its much more about marketing -- then again, isn't that the definition of Web 2.0 B2C?


Stephen McMahon said:
Hey Alex, I've actually been looking for a good reason to build a Twitter application. I'd be interested in hearing more about it.

Stephen
stephen /at/ slmcmahon /dot/ com

Alex Salkever said:
You should be nice to social media consultants. After all they fuel this Facebook page building madness that gives geeks work. Frankly, I sometimes think the geeks sit around and make up ways to convince (fill in type) consultants that they need to (x) which requires coding. It's a neat trick, no? BTW, can any of you do a Twitter ap for my new social media company?
Put me on the hottiealarmclock and you can be any kind of expert you wanna be, dude. :)

Daniel Leuck said:
Great article Viil. A few of my favorite excerpts:
1. "The predictions of experts were, on average, only a tiny bit better than random guesses — the equivalent of a chimpanzee throwing darts at a board."
2. "In one experiment, clinical psychologists did no better than their secretaries in their diagnoses. "
3. "...a white rat in a maze repeatedly beat groups of Yale undergraduates in understanding the optimal way to get food dropped in the maze."

On an unrelated note, has anyone else noticed that heavy Twitter users often write shorter posts, even when using platforms that don't impose character limits? I wonder if making this observation makes me a social media expert.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sponsors

web design, web development, localization

© 2014   Created by Daniel Leuck.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service