TechHui

Hawaiʻi's Technology Community

What are three good things that the UH ICS program is providing for its students?

If you can only think of one thing, that's OK too.

Views: 8101

Replies to This Discussion

As I am an exchange student for a semester here from the University of Minnesota - Twin Cities (UMN), these three good things may or may not be related to UHM ICS.

1. You may use online resources that are free only to computer science students, such as Lynda, Virtual Online Linux Environment, Windows 10, and other free software. 

2. There are many fields that are related and/or require the use of computer science, where you can change the world for a better future.

3.  Whatever an idea that you could come up with, you can implement and make your idea become a reality. With this fast-paced moving field, it's easy to create a personal project, and you can share it to the world with Github, LinkedIn, and your portfolio to the potential future employers.

1) Handful of programming languages are covered in the program. It covers Java, C, C++, JavaScript, and there's also a class that teaches Python.

2) Coming from LCC, they offered most of the required ICS classes online which makes it convenient to take the classes even while working.

3) There's always information being sent out from the department about learning opportunities through internships, new courses, and code challenges.

1. Much of the necessary software or learning materials are free.
  2. Opportunities for networking and learning through groups such as ACM or Grey Hats.
  3. Professors that are very knowledgeable in their field of study.

1. Classrooms which promote interactions between students, like WEB 101 we use in our ICS 311 class

2. Knowledgeable and helpful professors who want their students to success and bend over backwards to make that happen

3.  Challenging yet achievable goals to develop our skills and further our careers.

1. As a transferred student from Willamette University, I've noticed UH ICS program is more standardized.

2. UH provides classes and clubs for cyber security, something I've been curious about.

3. Much of the professors of ICS are very nice and easy to work with.

1) A lot of the resources needed for the class such as textbooks (if any) and softwares are free.

2) Since computer science is such a broad field, there are many opportunities to branch out to more specific fields that would be more interesting to you.

3) Being taught valuable skills that are actually used in the field such us using Git and other industry standards. Another valuable lesson is being taught how to tackle and solve problems which helps a lot when it comes to the field of computer science.

1. The ICS program offers various hands-on experiences, such as programming assignments in ICS 211, as well as collaborative environments in ICS 311/314, that allow students to get an insight of the work in the field.

2. A lot of resources are available for ICS students. Instructors and T.A.s both offer office hours, in addition to the Learning Emporium, giving students a wide range of options when seeking help with assignments.

3. ICS 314 promotes the use of LinkedIn, one of the most common networking sites for professionals. This is a great way to build our professional profile, in addition to TechHui.

1. There are professors that are invested and enthusiastic about their subject. This makes it easier to pay attention because they present information in a way that grabs your interest.
  2. There is a website we can go on to ask questions publicly to everyone in class or privately to our professor.
  3. You learn how to work in a team

As a computer engineer major, I do not know too much about the UH ICS program but here is what I've seen so far: 

1. The professors are enthusiastic and want to help their students. I've noticed the professors are trying to help their students receive an A in their classes. They provide a lot of material and a schedule in how to achieve an A. 
  2. In going through the first week of ICS 314, the professor made assignments geared toward improving our professional portfolio. I haven't worked on the professional profile that much but through this class I can build it up and hopefully get job offers in the future. 
  3. ICS program provides classes that are geared to improving my skills for the future. I am taking multiple ICS course and in all of them I am learning useful skills to help me work towards the career I want. 

1. In many of our ICS courses, we learn a wide range of programming languages that broadens our knowledge and skills to become better at programming.

2. For ICS courses we usually do not need to worry about purchasing textbooks since they are primarily online. For other classes, we would be required to buy a one-time use book that is not necessarily needed later on for our degree.

3. The ICS program provides students a great understanding of what working is like. Instead of working independently, we learn to work together as a team to solve the solution.

1. Professors, TAs, ATAs/LAs, and other computer science majors are happy to help.

2. Gerald is a great advisor!

3. Getting to take 400-level computer science-related courses in other departments and have them count as ICS 400 electives.

What are three good things that the UH ICS program is providing for its students?

1. Opportunities local to the state of Hawaii. These include employer contacts, hackathons, and internships.
  2. A curriculum tailored for various pathways in ICS.
  3. A fresh new take on the classroom experience. Class time is more than just a lecture, it's a collaborative learning environment.

RSS

Sponsors

web design, web development, localization

© 2020   Created by Daniel Leuck.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service