TechHui

Hawaiʻi's Technology Community

What are three good things that the UH ICS program is providing for its students?

If you can only think of one thing, that's OK too.

Views: 9644

Replies to This Discussion

1) They encourage the students to work together, which I think helps us in the long run especially when we get a job.  It helps to encourage us to ask for help when we're unsure.

2) It's challenging.  The reason behind it is so that we can handle the pressure when we do work outside of college.

3) UH provides online classes.  A lot of the times it would be impossible for me to fit ICS classes that I was required to take in my schedule, but luckily UH provides online classes, which helps me to graduate on time.

1. Due to being in the ICS program, I honestly feel like I’ve become a better problem solver. When you’re faced with a difficult problem in programming, the optimal way to approach it is to logically break the problem into smaller parts and solve them. This is a strategy that I’ve been able to apply to my life outside of programming, and I’ve become a better person because of it.

2. The ICS program gives us the opportunity to make new friends and meet like-minded individuals who share the same passions. While I can’t say I’ve fully taken advantage of this, things like the Grey Hats and various competitions give students ample opportunity to meet and interact with other programmers.

3. All of the professors and TAs I’ve had so far have always wanted their students to succeed and were more than willing to help when asked.

1. Outside of the books used in class, professors tend to also provide a lot of other resources available to help with studying.

2. Many upper division courses teach more specific courses that may be of interest to students.

3. A lot of group activities in classes helps with learning how to collaborate with others.

Three good things about being a UH ICS student are:

1. There is a great diversity in course subjects offered that range from Network Security to Algorithms to even Virtual Reality. By requiring students to take multiple upper level courses, this allows students to really figure out what they are most interested in.

2. Meeting other students in the ICS department is really great. There are many other students who also have a passion for what they're studying, which results in a very valuable experience learning and connecting with other people.

3. The TAs are extremely helpful for all the courses. There have been many times where the TA's have really saved me and furthered my knowledge of a particular subject/assignment. Many of the TA's will respond to emails within a day and seem to be very knowledgeable of the subject they are teaching.

1. Many of the teachers are from the field they teach

2. The computer labs are usually available to allow students to work when they need too. 

3. Many of the ICS students are very willing to help each other out and help each other learn 

1. Networking opportunities. I expect to meet professionals involved in Hawaii's tech industry.

2. Feedback. I have access to knowledgeable professors who can help me grow as a future software developer.

3. Being a UH ICS student can be demanding and that better prepares to deal with the pressures of the real world.

1. The emphasis on communicating with other ICS students. I know other majors don't place much emphasis toward getting to know everyone in your class, but it's nice that several ICS courses have these weekly groups. 
  2.  Being on Gerald's emailing list! Be it an internship or a job offer, so many opportunities are presented to us.
  3. I always have fun doing the homework. I honestly can't think of an assignment that I didn't want to do from an ICS class! 

1. Many of the classes provide/don't require textbooks. I haven't had an issue with spending hundreds on textbooks for any semester unlike other programs at UH.

2. The diverse programming background UH provides is pretty solid. Even languages we don't learn explicitly (C#, Swift) are extremely accessible since we're learning a new language more or less every semester.

3. I haven't had a Friday class for the past four or five semesters!

1. ICS Teaching Assistants are Amazing: For every ICS class I've had so far, each teaching assistant was awesome. They are very passionate and really care about the students. All were very patient with me. They promptly answered every question I had and helped me clearly understand the course material.

2. Small class sizes: The majority of all of the ICS classes I had so far had less than 30 students per class. This helped me meet others and I got to know them better. It is also nice seeing a professor from several semesters ago and they still remembered my name.

3. You meet other ICS students: Many have different backgrounds. Meeting others and learning from them has helped me grow as a UH ICS student. For the most part, ICS students help each other out.

1.  Being able to choose a specific focus for upper level classes.

2.  Having to almost never need to buy textbooks or having free online versions of these textbooks.

3.  Having classes that's main focus is too prepare you for a job after college.

1) Because computer science is heavily logic based it helps build great problem solving skills which are applicable everywhere else in life. Skills such as how to approach problems, understanding limitations and constraints, establishing a scope, and developing a plan and map of goals are all skills that can be applied to other parts of life.

2) ICS builds great collaborative and communication skills. We learn quickly that in computer science working together lets us produce a greater product than the sum of its parts especially when it comes to programming problems. While we can look up how to do something because it's likely that someone did it, we learn how to talk through the problem and gain insight into why something works rather than just copy pasting. In addition, we learn how to communicate well with other people through our basic IT classes and are able to explain and understand problems with good listening skills.

3) The focus on theory to back up implementation is an excellent example of how to approach new ideas and learn new things. Many of our classes heavily focus on theory on how things work and why they work. This teaches us to first understand and look for ourselves at the machinations and meanings of a subject. Instead of just blindly doing something because we know how to do it, we learn that learning the theory also allows us to adjust for unexpected problems and find ways to workaround something.

1. The knowledge is never ending. The field of computer science will never get old or boring because there's always something new going on. As new technologies spring up or new problems arise, we get to learn about them and even solve them, giving us a sense of fulfillment in our careers.

2. The possibilities are endless. After every course I take, I learn about another career available within the field. Artificial intelligence, software engineering, and cryptography are just some of the many fields of study that I've come across. Whether you like mathematics, developing software, or understanding the psychology of humans and computers interacting with each other, there's something for everyone.

3. Your thinking skills evolve. The one thing that stayed with me from ICS 111 was when my professor candidly stated that programming is completely unambiguous. At work, this diligence to being unambiguous allowed me to perform with excellence and become an effective communicator. It also allowed me to explain things very clearly when explaining a concept to a fellow student or showing the ropes to the new guy at work.

RSS

Sponsors

web design, web development, localization

© 2024   Created by Daniel Leuck.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service