TechHui

Hawaiʻi's Technology Community

What are three good things that the UH ICS program is providing for its students?

If you can only think of one thing, that's OK too.

Views: 9642

Replies to This Discussion

Two good things about the UH ICS program:

1. Gerald Lau. He's a great advisor and really goes out of his way to accommodate you. Whenever I had a question or needed an override, Gerald was there to take care of things in a timely manner.

2. Smaller classes makes it easier to approach the professor with questions or concerns.

1. Most of the professors have been very helpful and understanding pertaining to issues regarding homework/lectures/projects.

2. Constant updates from Gerald Lau keep everyone up-to-date about internships/job openings.

3. Projects assigned for certain classes reinforce key concepts that help you remember material from the class and how it applies to your work.

1. Gerald Lau is a great advisor. From my experience he is extremely helpful and manages to encourage you and convey his enthusiasm on computer science.

2. I think that the minimum grade requirements for passing ICS111 and ICS211 and are great. Other science fields only require a C to move on but passing with that isn't really good for someone majoring in the field. I feel this requirement really forces you to do your best and should be implemented in different science departments.

3. Classes are relatively late compared to other departments, and allows us the luxury of not having to wake up at a very early time.

1. While learning java,tought me how to program for Minecraft.

2. Learned to appreciate how much work goes into program something as simple as the itunes.

3.Meet new people, whom i learned much from, both professors and students alike.

1. Constant emails about new employment oppurtunities

2. Many available online courses which create open, flexible schedules for jobs, internships and/or other activities

3. The ICS department building is the closest to the food trucks!

1. Gerald Lau is one of the valuable resources on campus.

2. All professors and TAs are always available for contact (at a reasonable time of course.)

3. The DreamSpark program through the ICS department is a great resource.

1) The ICS program does have excellent professors that really know the industry and are able to provide great insight.

2) Great program to network. There are some really brilliant students in the program and that really helps.

3) ICS is a passion.

1.  Emails are sent frequently about different workshops and internships being offered.

2.  Most of the classes have an included lab section.  This allows for more hands on learning rather than just listening to a lecture then trying to implement what you learned at home.  By having the lab section students can get instant help from the TA's or from other students.

3.  The free software from Microsoft.

1. Personable faculty. As many have mentioned above, Gerald is a valuable asset to the UH ICS department. He is very involved with the students and their future plans and is always up for a chat (he has a few great stories to tell himself!). I always appreciate his emails which update me on job/internship opportunities or class openings. Also, from my experience, there are many professors that you can immediately tell are very knowledgeable and genuinely love what they do.

2. Diversity. I really enjoy the fact that the students and faculty in the ICS program are so diverse in their interests and backgrounds. It’s great when you get to work together with others students who have very different skill sets than yourself, and you get to look forward to what you can produce in the end. Also, because professors specialize in varying areas, a student can expect to find a class that interests them.

3. Education. This may be debatable for some but in general, being an ICS student (not just at UH) means that you never stop being a student. With new technologies, languages, and industries constantly being introduced, we will always be challenged to keep up. For me, I think it’s great that I get to seek further education without actually being in an academic environment once I graduate.

1:  Introduction and development of software programing.

2:  Introducing students to jobs and internships at companies looking for computer programers.

3:  Being able to learn with like-minded individuals who can support each other through technology.

Most of the ICS professors at the University of Hawaii seem to genuinely care for the success of their students, both in class and out of class. Furthermore, I’ve found that the majority of the professors in the ICS program are very approachable and easy to talk to. This might seem like a trivial concern, but it’s always reassuring to know that I can go to these professors whenever I may need help with anything. I especially appreciate the fact that the UH ICS program has taken great care to bring in professors of a wide range of discipline and specialization.

Perhaps I’ve just lucked out during my semesters so far, but I’ve been fortunate enough to have had some excellent teaching assistants in my past courses. They have been extremely friendly and helpful – and have been an instrumental part of my success as an ICS student so far. While the professors do a great job at teaching us new material, I’ve found that it’s almost always helpful to get a different perspective by asking the teaching assistants for their view on a certain topic. I can only hope that this trend of helpful teaching assistants continues for my remaining few semesters!

I feel that the UH ICS program does a good job balancing its budget in order to keep things modernized. The computers are new, the rooms are well furnished with comfortable seats and tables, and the entire building seems to always be very clean. The POST building, which is the building that the UH ICS program resides in, is easily the most modern building on campus –and that’s something I’ve always found reassuring as an ICS student.

1. In my experience, the instructors are very approachable and willing to help.  I think this creates an environment that enables students to do well and encourages growth as an ICS professional.
  2. I think that by exposing students to programming languages like C, and C++, UH provides students the opportunity to familiarize themselves with some pretty difficult concepts like pointers and memory allocation, before being thrown into it when we enter the industry.
  3. I also think that UH provides ICS students with a strong foundational knowledge of Computer Science and also provides opportunities to explore newer areas of Computer Science like Computers in Medicine.

RSS

Sponsors

web design, web development, localization

© 2024   Created by Daniel Leuck.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service