TechHui

Hawaiʻi's Technology Community

What are three good things that the UH ICS program is providing for its students?

If you can only think of one thing, that's OK too.

Views: 9606

Replies to This Discussion

1) The difficulty of the classes is very helpful and challenging. Taking ICS 212 last semester took up a lot of time, but it helped me with my time management skills and my approach when it comes to projects.

2) Many of the professors that I have had so far were pretty open to questions from the students.

3) The student community on campus is really great. There is a lot of opportunity to learn in different clubs that you can join.

1. Lots of the classes take into account that some people are going in with zero coding experience (me, when I first joined the CS department), and I appreciate that teachers take the time to teach the basics even though many other students probably have tons of experience on their own.

2. The ICSpace is a great place to study, make friends, and ask peers questions about different ICS topics. Not all departments can say that they have a student lounge like that. I think that the ICSpace creates a great community that could become even better if students are more welcoming to newcomers.

3. Many of the professors are very approachable in a way that makes it easy as a student to come and ask questions without feeling worried that they're going to look stupid. I think it's important to have personable professors to build a foundation of trust with students.

1. Learn how to create your own video game by programming
2. Have a deeper understanding about how modern technology works.
3. Get to know and work with smart and cool people.

1) While taking ICS 111 and 211 I had the opportunity to work in what was called "open lab" almost every Friday night. During these open labs, I had access to 111 and 211 teaching assistants who were always open to answering questions that I had. This helped me understand the content that I was being taught and helped me do better in my ICS classes in general. 

2) The ICSpace is a great place to study, collaborate, ask questions, or even make new friends within the field. 

3) The third good thing that the ICS program provided for its students was access to the computer lab during my introductory lab courses. This can be helpful for those who did not have access to their own laptop at the time. 

Three good things about being ICS students:

1) If I encounter something difficulties, I can always find a solution online.

2) Improve my understand skill. Online resources cannot be copied and pasted directly and used on my own code. I need to understand the principle.

3) I feel like ICS student do not need to write too many essay. Most of time spend on coding and solve the loop.

1. Learning Variety of coding language

2. Meeting new people that have the same interest as you in ICS.

3. Being able to make games in ICS111 in Jason's class.

1) Definitely the resources available to us such as all the emails Gerald sends us and somewhat free software.

2) The amount of great minds you can talk to, collaborate, and form networks with and the amount of passion of each of them.

3) Building off 2 and the fact that everyone wants to help eachother and that professors are super passionate about their teachings.

1. It prepare us for programming interview in the professional field. 

2. ICS Students have more resources compare to a average person such as professors, internship, free licensed software, etc.

3. Most of the materials can be learn through internet or online class. This allow student to have free more time in hand to practice programming even further. 

1. Various courses that allow students to explore different programming languages and software.
2. Study areas in POST where you can work on assignments with classmates.
3. Every class has one or more TAs who are frequently available when you get stuck on a project.

1. MS Imagine

2. ACM

3. classes for CEng students

1. It is rewarding. There is that sense of accomplishment when your program finally works after hours of troubleshooting.

2. The professors and TAs are very all very passionate, approachable, and always willing to help you understand the material.

3. We learn about a wide variety of topics ranging from the various programming languages to learning how to use different types of software and IDEs.

1. Meeting, maybe even working, with potential coworkers, bosses, etc.

2. Learn from students that might be more experienced than you.

3. Learn how to get into the industry (learn how to get hired or raise your chances).

RSS

Sponsors

web design, web development, localization

© 2024   Created by Daniel Leuck.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service