1.) Getting local companies involved is great. Seeing companies come in to hold some event and expose students to the representatives benefits for future employment and also to get a glimpse of what real work experience may look like.
2.) The faculty and staff have been very helpful both in advising me for my goals and also on the subject material. They are very inviting and will try to help you succeed without just laying out the answers to you. A student can feel comfortable that there is help when they need it.
3.) Having the ICS space is great to meet others who are going through the same course work as you. Its a good way to bounce off ideas and ask questions about future courses.
1. Its challenging and makes me work hard.
2. The many languages that you learn because I didn't know any languages before becoming an ICS major.
3. The way I look at technology and seeing how computer science fits into it. I have a new found appreciation for computers, video games, smart phones, etc. The ICS program has helped me find this new found appreciation
Good Things About the UH ICS Program:
1. Provides a good amount of programming experience.
2. Encourages cooperation.
3. Higher level ICS courses are available to Computer Engineering majors, giving us a chance to take courses that use a wider variety of programming languages.
1. I get to network with students that also share the same interests as me.
2. I find I can apply the skills I learn in class to side projects that I do for fun.
3. I enjoy downloading the student versions of expensive programs for free because I have a UH email.
It allows me to learn programming and other technology oriented skills in school
The faculty are all very enthusiastic about the program, and are great at teaching
It's Hawaii what's not to like?
1. the teachers I have had are all pretty good. they explain the content enough and you can always go ask for help after.
2. The ICS space is pretty cool as just a place to relax or work when you're waiting on your next class.
3. The advising has been great in pointing me in the right direction.
1. The problem solving skills you learn can be useful in other areas
2. Helps improve personal skills such as time management, organization, and determination because of how difficult and time consuming the courses can be
3. Many resources and ways to learn material/get help
1. The professors are very enthusiastic about their work and the TA's and professors are usually readily available if assistance is needed.
2. Having an ICS program in general on the island I grew up in allowing me to develop the skills I need without having to leave home.
3. We learn skills that prepare us for when we leave college. For example, we may receive assignments geared towards work similar to that of a professional setting.
Three good things about being an ICS student at UH Manoa are:
1. Having the option of taking a lot of classes online is really beneficial for my schedule and the way that I learn.
2. The ICS space that is allocated for us UH ICS students, is a great resource to connect with other students that share the same interests that I do.
3. Above all, the academic advisers in the ICS department are extremely helpful and always welcome walk-ins when any of us need help.
What are three good things that the UH ICS program is providing for its students?
I am a domestic exchange student here for the Spring 2018 semester only, so my views and opinions are limited.
1) Preparation for tech industry discourse. I liked the experiences it gives students regarding post-college life.
2) Variety of CS courses. I liked the range of topics the department had to offer. I also enjoy the various professor backgrounds.
3) Good professors. Each professor I've had so far is invested in their students.
1) The opportunity to get involved in ICS related activities outside class
2) Information which might help lead to a career in ICS
3) A lot of great professors who help their students to succeed in ICS