TechHui

Hawaiʻi's Technology Community

My wife just bought me an iPhone and I've lost the better part of today playing with it. Its an amazing device. This is the first mobile device that I would actually use for web browsing sessions lasting more than five minutes. The browser is a modified version of the Safari browser, so most regular websites render well. The multitouch zoom functionality coupled with superior font rendering and a high density screen (320 by 480 at 160 ppi) make web browsing a pleasure. I was also pleasantly surprised to see I could browse Japanese websites, although OSX's standard Japanese input method is not supported.

I do have some gripes:
- The omission of Java and Flash support. I recently started working with Flex, so the lack of a Flash player is rather annoying. Rumor has it Flash support will be coming in the next few months. I suppose the lack of Java support isn't surprising given Steve Job's bizarre bias against the technology.
- The lack of basic text services such as selection, cut, copy and paste. This is truly weird. Given the fact click and drag is used to scroll the screen, it will be interesting to see how they support text selection.
- The lack of a proper SDK. This is supposed to be coming in a few months.

...and the usual gripes mentioned all over the blogsphere - no GPS and a slow network. I'm sure these will be addressed shortly.

Overall I am very happy with my new phone, and I look forward to playing with the upcoming SDK.

Views: 26

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I love my iPhone, but it really needs cut, copy and paste!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sponsors

web design, web development, localization

© 2024   Created by Daniel Leuck.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service