Creating effective messages for the dynamic environment of the web can be a challenge even for the most experienced writer. This workshop is designed to help writers develop copy that addresses the needs and expectations of online audiences. Through hands-on exercises and real-world examples, participants learn how to:
- Optimize their writing for concision, consistency, and readability
- Retool existing documents for online publication
- Incorporate the fundamentals of information design into copywriting
- Accommodate multiple audiences with various needs
- Leverage the power of social networking technologies to express themselves, exchange ideas, and promote their products and services
The workshop addresses principles of good practice for professional copywriters, and introduces tools and resources that can help writers work more efficiently.
John Zuern is an associate professor in the UHM Department of English, where he teaches classes on writing for electronic media and develops web-based teaching resources. He also works as a freelance writer and editor.