Dear Coders who love Art,
Full details here: https://www.facebook.com/events/561887580510253/
))) What is Out of Office?
The simple goal of Out of Office is to take programmers out of their normal environments. Once out of their normal places of working, we hope to change their perspective on work.
))) What's going on at the Preview event?
PREVIEW EVENT: Monday, 3/25, 6pm - R/D
Maoya Bassiouni, a local artist will talk about programming as an amazing tool in artistic processes. As a preview to the workshop she'll be running at the Main event, she will present the concepts behind her work and demo some of their production. Following Mayoya presentation will be a short, simple introduction to Processing. Processing is a software tool for creative coders, that we'll use during the Main event to create visualizations.
))) What's the Main event?
MAIN EVENT: Sunday, 4/14, 10am-4pm - Museum of Art, Spalding House (Makiki Heights)
The main Out of Office event will take place at the Spalding House, currently showing an exhibition exploring the intersection of art and mathematics, Finding X. As such, we're tailoring the schedule to fit into the museum environment. The workshops will take place in a classroom provided by the museum, seating limited.
Tentative Schedule: Sunday, 4/14
10-10:30 - Open discussion while walking through the exhibit Finding X
("which explores the yin-yang-like relationship between mathematics and art through five smaller exhibitions").
10:30-11 - Introductions and welcome
11-12 noon - Workshop, experimenting with creative processes via code
12-1pm - Lunch on your own (Cafe open from 12-2pm)
1-2pm - Introduction to Processing as a means of visualizing workshop concepts
2-3pm - Collaborative exploration / individual work
3-4pm - Sharing progress and ideas (mini-showcase)
))) What Out of Office is NOT:
- This is not just a workshop. People can come and work on their projects, be productive, and/or collaborate with others.
- This is not an event where one person stands at the front of the room and talks, while everyone else listens.
- This is not an event where people just sit and wait to be told what to do.
- This is not an event where you will be spoon fed.
- This is not a social mixer or marketing event. Socializing is important, but not the sole purpose of this event.
))) What good could possibly come of this?
- Mind expansion
- Learn new creative processes, tools
- Meet some like-minded people
- Spend a pleasant portion of the day at the museum
))) I'm interested, what do I do?
- Go to the Preview event.
- Want to help? Send me an email, we need people to help with setup, tear down, and assist with workshops.
- Sent me an email if you want to go to the Main event's workshop.