New Media: The Bleeding Edge on ThinkTech - See uStream Live Streaming at 4pm.
Covering the evolution of how news is discovered and shared including social media technology and trends.
Monday's Show: The Intersection of News and Social Media with guest Gene Park, Community Manager at Honolulu Civil Beat
Gene Park is currently the community manager for Hawaii-based investigative news organization, Honolulu Civil Beat, started by eBay founder Pierre Omidyar. He was most recently communications executive for The Limtiaco Company, a public relations and marketing firm operating out of Honolulu, Hawaii. Gene also is the former online news producer and columnist for the Honolulu Star-Advertiser.
He has served as president of the Asian American Journalists Association of Hawaii, and vice president of The Hawaii Newspaper Guild/Communications Workers of America. Gene has been a professional journalist since 2003. He has triple-market experience, having written or worked for the following publications in California, Hawaii and the Mariana Islands.
- Honolulu Civil Beat (Honolulu, Hawaii)
- The Huffington Post (New York City, New York)
- Honolulu Star-Advertiser (Honolulu, Hawaii)
- Honolulu Star-Bulletin (Honolulu, Hawaii)
- Honolulu Magazine (Honolulu, Hawaii)
- Island Scene Magazine (Honolulu, Hawaii)
- The San Gabriel Valley Tribune (West Covina, Calif.)
- The Orange County Register (Santa Ana, Calif.)
- Quill Magazine (Society of Professional Journalists)
- Pacific Daily News (Guam)
- Marianas Business Journal (Guam)
- Marianas Variety (Guam)
His writing expertise includes breaking news, business, features, entertainment, PR collateral, press releases, website content production and opinion writing. His current career goal is to meet and help address the many challenges facing the media industry during this exciting but turbulent period.
1. News segment covering social media technology and trends (15 mins)
2. Interview / Discussion with Gene Park (15 mins before the break, 5-10 minutes after)
3. Meme du Jour: A few amusing memes to close out the show