TechHui

Hawaiʻi's Technology Community

What are three ways that the UH ICS program could improve?

If you can think of more than three things, then please limit your response to your top three!

Views: 8545

Replies to This Discussion

I think the UH ICS program could improve by

1) providing more opportunities for students and teaching students how to use some of the actual modern software/tools used in addition to the theoretical aspects of ICS, 

2) providing more opportunities for students to apply what they've learned in their ICS courses to practical, personalized projects, and 

3) providing more in-depth information and showcases on the possible job fields ICS students can choose from to motivate students.

From my experience as an ICS student at UH Manoa, here are three negative aspects:

1. Class seats are limited and often get filled very early during registration time.
  2. The ICS space provided for students is small and there isn't a lot of space for more people to use.
  3. There are few sections available for ICS classes so it's a bit difficult to schedule classes. In addition, ICS 212 in particular is very late which can be difficult for people to attend.

1) The stereotype of a CS major often times impedes with a lot of conversations and limits certain aspects of life

2) Most people often misunderstand what it means to be an ICS student/major and this can lead to misguided career decisions.

3) Class times for ICS students at UH manoa are kinda weird

1. Awesome studying areas for ICS students. Even KCC has own building for ICS department and it's actually very nice. 

2. More class options and professors! Honestly, nobody would want to take a class of a professor who has worst reputation.

3.  As someone already pointed out, it is very difficult to plan a student's next year of school, let alone putting together even a loose plan to encompass all the semesters until graduation. 

1. Lab computers could definitely get some software / program updating so that it is a valid option to students who can't obtain their own personal computer.

2. Figure out a system in which students from the same class but different sections have the option to collaborate when it comes to group projects. I recall in ICS 111 we had a group project however because me and the people who I did want to collaborate with were from different sections and thus were restricted from it.

3. A more centered location for some ICS Classes? I usually have my ICS classes located in a similar part of campus (Kuykendall, Moore, Art, POST). But this semester I am also taking ICS 311 which is located all the way in Webster. It's not too much of a problem but if it's something that can be changed then i'm all for it.

I have not been in the program long enough to run into many issues, so my commentary will be limited. One issue I have had so far is availability for some classes, which can fill up quickly. Some classrooms could be better for classes that require using your computer every day by including more outlets around the room, including in the floor. Lastly, class sizes could be smaller in some cases, some 300 levels are quite large. 

Adding a Game Design degree focus for students mainly interested in creating video games and gaming apps.

Making POST slightly warmer than freezing.

Three bad things about being an UH ICS student is

1 - Computer science department keeps increasing their credits required, making it take longer to graduate.

2 - ICS takes a lot of time to master as programming is a language and skill.

3 - Difficulty of having multiple ICS classes per semester (with other classes you have to take.)

As a computer engineering major in the Manoa College of Engineering, I don't know much about the ICS department, but here are my two cents (or three, if you think of each thing to improve as a cent).

1.  I don't know if the professors teaching introductory ICS and CompE courses at Manoa already do this (I transferred from Leeward CC), but they should definitely give their students advice that they should do lots of research on the laptops and other devices running a desktop OS on the market as early as possible (avoid doing this research at the last minute, when you urgently need it for a course).

I think MobileTechReview is a good YouTube channel for looking at laptop and device reviews.  In terms of devices, after doing lots of research, I think the Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga X380 and the Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Tablet (3rd Gen) are good picks for me (or whatever the latest generation of these devices are at time of reading).  Of course, ThinkPads might not be the best fit for everyone, but I think you can't go wrong with advising students to do lots of research into laptops and devices early on so that they can make informed decisions on what might be one of the most important investments of their life.

2.  If there is a course with bad 'official development environments', then those bad environments should be fixed.  In a number of courses I was required to take as a CompE major, the official environment to run code in would be a virtual machine running Ubuntu.  This made my machine lag really really bad.  I would then try to do as much development as possible in my own environment and then run the final code in the official environment, which would still lag really badly.  This caused me to shift a lot of my time and energy into struggling with the environment rather than learning the concepts being presented in class.  I don't know if there are bad environments in the ICS department, but if there are, then they should be replaced with better environments.

3.  I think that the ICS and CompE should consider integrating more or other aspects of personal development into the curriculum.  It sounds experimental, because at the end of the day, ICS and CompE are technical fields and personal development can be kind of 'soft and squishy' at times, but it's just something I think should be considered, though as of writing I don't hold any strong opinions about this, since it can fail or backfire with poor execution.

RSS

Sponsors

web design, web development, localization

© 2019   Created by Daniel Leuck.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service