I think the UH ICS program could improve by
1) providing more opportunities for students and teaching students how to use some of the actual modern software/tools used in addition to the theoretical aspects of ICS,
2) providing more opportunities for students to apply what they've learned in their ICS courses to practical, personalized projects, and
3) providing more in-depth information and showcases on the possible job fields ICS students can choose from to motivate students.
1) The stereotype of a CS major often times impedes with a lot of conversations and limits certain aspects of life
2) Most people often misunderstand what it means to be an ICS student/major and this can lead to misguided career decisions.
3) Class times for ICS students at UH manoa are kinda weird
1. Awesome studying areas for ICS students. Even KCC has own building for ICS department and it's actually very nice.
2. More class options and professors! Honestly, nobody would want to take a class of a professor who has worst reputation.
3. As someone already pointed out, it is very difficult to plan a student's next year of school, let alone putting together even a loose plan to encompass all the semesters until graduation.
1. Lab computers could definitely get some software / program updating so that it is a valid option to students who can't obtain their own personal computer.
2. Figure out a system in which students from the same class but different sections have the option to collaborate when it comes to group projects. I recall in ICS 111 we had a group project however because me and the people who I did want to collaborate with were from different sections and thus were restricted from it.
3. A more centered location for some ICS Classes? I usually have my ICS classes located in a similar part of campus (Kuykendall, Moore, Art, POST). But this semester I am also taking ICS 311 which is located all the way in Webster. It's not too much of a problem but if it's something that can be changed then i'm all for it.
I have not been in the program long enough to run into many issues, so my commentary will be limited. One issue I have had so far is availability for some classes, which can fill up quickly. Some classrooms could be better for classes that require using your computer every day by including more outlets around the room, including in the floor. Lastly, class sizes could be smaller in some cases, some 300 levels are quite large.
Adding a Game Design degree focus for students mainly interested in creating video games and gaming apps.
Making POST slightly warmer than freezing.
Three bad things about being an UH ICS student is
1 - Computer science department keeps increasing their credits required, making it take longer to graduate.
2 - ICS takes a lot of time to master as programming is a language and skill.
3 - Difficulty of having multiple ICS classes per semester (with other classes you have to take.)