I am a Computer Engineer, and here is 1 bad thing about being in the department:
1. CENG is limited with a small amount of technical electives.
1. Learning and getting help with ICS related problems can be overwhelming when first learning, so forcing students to work in groups early on and helping them gain other peers they feel comfortable talking to.
2. Offer more classes at a lower level so students can explore the different areas of ICS early on and pinpoint what they want to work with.
3. Flipped classrooms can be hard to grasp new concepts since it's not very common with lower level classes. So maybe create an easier transition or create different ways to effectively teach the basics of coding through online methods.
The three ways that I think the UH ICS program could improve are:
The things I am talking about have already been mentioned but here is my list
1. A lot of the classes are extremely time consuming, that is to be expected because computer science just takes time to learn.
2. there should be a working lab or lounge for ics students like other departments have that is open nearly 24 hours.
3. It would be great if the ics department required an internship course to graduate, that way it would help everyone establish some experience in the real job world and thus be more likely to land a good job after graduation.
1. I think that proofs start to become more important in later courses such as 311, but in previous courses, where my professor said we were supposed to learn them, we just briefly went over them, so I had to spend a lot of time learning how to do them.
2. Some classes are just not available for a semester and if they are, then can have late time slots.
3. The flipped classroom wasn't common in lower level courses and was sort of difficult to adjust to as they started to become more prevalent.
1. The required graduation path includes too many classes that are out of scope for an ICS student.
2. No real common work space area for only ICS students.
1.it would be nice yjay ICS student have a nice study place.
2.Sinec the major is hard, i think it would be better to gove more support to ICS students.
3. The cost for textbook and eqiopment is way too expensive for some of the student that can't affort that much.
1. The amount of labor/energy taking ICS classes, but expect to challenge yourself (depending on one's learning curve).
2. More (convenient) time slots for ICS classes, especially for ones in high demand
3. Provide a bit further/simplified explanation of classes offered