TechHui

Hawaiʻi's Technology Community

What are three ways that the UH ICS program could improve?

If you can think of more than three things, then please limit your response to your top three!

Views: 7680

Replies to This Discussion

1.  The ICS program can provides more lower division W.I. courses, so we can take a writing intensive course relates to our major rather than taking a history course although history courses are also interesting.

2.  Upper division courses are limited. It is a big problem if we have schedule conflict. 

3.  The ICS program should have more smaller classes because professors could devote more time to each student in those classes.   

1. There isn't a lot of professors compared to other majors at UH, which results in confining schedules for students.

2. Some gen-ed class classes required for the major seems unnecessary.

3. More specialized classes would help students focus on areas of computer science that interest them.

1. Registering for some of the core classes can be difficult due the low seat availability. 
  2. The discrete math courses can be hard to digest. This eventually leads to students struggling with classes like 311 down the road. 
  3. Having a language requirement for ICS students means less available course time for more ICS courses. 

As an ICS student, I feel spending so much time in front of a computer screen detracts from the time I could spend engaging with people and experiencing the beauty that Hawaii has to offer. Also, I worry about the opportunity cost of subjects and topics I lose the chance to learn because I chose to study ICS. Lastly, I sometimes hate the frustration about not being able to figure out the problem in my code. 

1. The class scheduling, either not enough seats or a really bad time

2. The amount of time outside of class you have to spend on each class

3. The way some classes are taught by like lectures at home, screencasts, etc

1. I think that they should offer more seats or class sections available for certain courses that are extremely popular and difficult to get into. (ICS 311, 314)
  2. ICS 311 is notoriously difficult for many students. I think that they should break this course into two different classes so that we can spend more time on the tougher topics to ensure that we are understanding and comprehending the subject at hand.
  3. A larger portion of studying is done outside of class compared to other majors. Similar to learning a foreign language we need to be able to practice every single day for numerous hours.

1.  We are required to take foreign language classes despite learning 4+ languages over our time here 2. Inconsistencies between the same courses taught by different professors 3.  Class availability 

This is my first semester at UH, so I am not familiar with everything yet, but these are some things I have noticed so far:

1. Class availability

2. Gender ratio

3. Lack of student resources - study spaces, labs, etc.

Although this is only my first semester, some areas that I noticed that could use improvement would be:

1) Class Options:

When I first saw the ICS catalog, a couple of classes immediately peaked my interest, such as ICS 443: Parallel algorithms and ICS 432: Concurrent and High Performance Programming. After further inspection, I realized that these and other 400+ level courses that I was interested in wasn't offered this fall or last spring. This makes me concerned about how limited my class options in the future will be. 

2) Class sizes:

Similar to the first improvement, the class sizes and number of sections available for core ICS class could be increased. ICS 311 is a prerequisite for a lot of the ICS catalog, but only one section was offered this fall, and it was online. Since I am a transfer from KCC, I had no chance of getting into this class, which may delay my graduation.

3) More Concentration Options:

It's cool that there is a security concentration for the BS in CS degree, and it would be awesome if there were other defined concentrations, such as web development.

1. Class availability

Like others have said, it is hard to get into some classes in ICS.  I had to speak to my counselor to get into ICS 311 this semester since there was only one class.

2.  Class curriculum between colleges

I took as many ICS courses as I could at WCC before going to UH Manoa.  When I finally transferred, I was completely lost especially when it came to discrete math subject.  I felt as though I didn't learn a lot of the things I was supposed to.  It seems difficult to go from a community college to a 4 year university.

3. Homework
Homework is very time consuming.  It's very difficult to take a full course load while having a job.  You need very good time management skills in order to succeed.

1. Heavy workload.

2. Not enough class sections

3. More teachers would be nice.

1. Up front cost of having to own a personal computer combined with having to purchase textbooks. We're in computer science and still having to buy textbooks? It would be great to have (free) widely available resources for classes. 

2 I wasn't really aware until I read through this thread that class availability was an issue. It would be really great to have better class availability during the times when students need it especially core classes!

3. More Professors please! There are a lot of ICS students and way too few Professors to teach these classes. This makes it difficult for both the Professors to get one one time with students and disconnects many students from forming a bond with their Professors.

RSS

Sponsors

web design, web development, localization

© 2018   Created by Daniel Leuck.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service