TechHui

Hawaiʻi's Technology Community

What are three good things that the UH ICS program is providing for its students?

If you can only think of one thing, that's OK too.

Views: 5266

Replies to This Discussion

1. I really appreciate how the ICS program is really pushing me to learn rigorously. This is so important to me that I couldn't emphasize more (if I could I would repeat this line 100 times in this text). I'm glad that our program has so many capable instructors that really cares about the students learning. Thanks to that I'm learning more than I could ever imagine every single day.

1) A space to work with other ICS students.

2) Teachers who have experience in the field who can give us practical advice about what we should learn and why we should learn it.

3) We're provided resources and encouragement to find jobs and internships.

Three good things that the UH ICS program is providing for its students are:

1. Get introduced to numerous programs and acquire skills that can be incorporated into various ICS classes.

2. Given plenty of opportunities for internships, jobs, and events.

3.  There is a large amount resource for students to reach out to, such as the academic advisor, study groups, professors, etc.

1) Enabling students to build their professional careers while earning college credits. Professional portfolios and personal projects are useful in building our resume.

2) Professors who lead the class well. Having a good professor can make or break the difference in learning the material well.

3) Affordable classes. As a resident of Hawaii, UH Manoa is extremely affordable for me when compared to other mainland colleges.

Disclaimer: Not an ICS student, but rather a computer engineer.

1. Meeting new people who share similar interests within the major

2. The numerous opportunities available to learn different technologies and disciplines 

3. The Professors teach well and go in depth when they explain problems and code, they also make themselves available for help if needed

As a computer engineer, my only experience with the ICS department is with ICS 314 which I'm currently taking. Based on this class, I see a few good things such as:

1) Writing intensive ICS classes will help us build communication skills as professionals, which we don't usually get from EE courses.

2) Online assignments provide supplemental resources and free tutorials, ensuring I can learn the content at my own pace.

3) Professors encourage collaboration with peers and are open to questions, ensuring we use all available resources whenever we need to.

There are many great things about being a UH ICS student, here are 3.

1: We are learning from excellent professors who are experienced in the industry, research, or both!

2: Most if not all of the courses teach what I see to be very practical skills that I will use for the rest of my career.

3. The ICS department is a friendly community.

1) Meeting other people who know how to code.

2) Working on projects that we will be able to put into our professional profile is helpful. 

3) Learning to work on out professional image.

1. Gerald Lau is our academic advisor.

2. Having solid professors to teach us this rigorous material.

3. Different courses that allow for both group and individual work creating a well rounded student.

ACM Manoa
Laulima and STAR are useful

MSDN and Microsoft Imagine access

1. The ICS lounge. Having a common space that is always open at night and not too cold is fantastic. Way better than Sinclair Library.

2. Gerald Lau is a great asset to the program. He’s a great advisor and student advocate. He is very responsive, clear, and approachable. As a student, it is nice to know that there is someone who knows your name and is watching out for you.

3. Overall, the ICS teaching assistants are another great asset to the program. My ICS 211 TA was the best TA I have had. As a former TA in history, I have to say I was really impressed by him. I am eternally grateful for my ICS 141 TA, because I am sure I would not have gotten an A in 141 without his help. And while not every ICS TA has been as inspiring as my ICS 141 and 211 TAs, at least none of them have been terrible, and that is saying something.

There are many great things about UH Manoa's ICS program, as is evident by the variety of previous comments. My top three would have to be:

1. The professors in this program are actively working in the industry. Professors bring with them their past experiences which is valuable when learning the material. Students get to learn how the information they are currently learning could be used in their future careers.

2. The ICS community is very tight-knit. Once you get through the introduction courses and into your concentration courses the class size shrinks dramatically. You get to know the people in your class well over the semester, and often see them in future classes. The bonds created extend outside the classroom into extracurricular activities and beyond.

3. There are lots of opportunities to take what you learn in class and apply it to real world situations. Spend one week in the ICS community Slack channel and you will be bombarded with notifications of activities you can partake in. Whether it be Grey Hats, Hackathons, CTFs, or Python programming night, there are plenty of opportunities to supplement your class learning with hands on experience and have fun with the ICS community.

RSS

Sponsors

web design, web development, localization

© 2018   Created by Daniel Leuck.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service