TechHui

Hawaiʻi's Technology Community

I really hate my 15 mile commute to work each day. I especially dislike using my 20 year old Volvo station wagon solely to drag my sorry okole and laptop. I started dreaming of a green commute that didn't involve two hours on The Bus.

I read in Make magazine about Justin Gray's R84, a 2000 Yamaha R-1 converted to LiFePo. No word on speed or range, so probably not much of either, but for a short commute it would be stylin! Another tinkerer took a 1984 Honda Interceptor and converted it.

I'm handy enough with tools, I've built an all-solar charging system before, I could build one of my own (given an adequately outfitted machine shop). Shipping is going to kill my on the replacement parts, especially the batteries! Does anyone know any local resources for batteries, controllers and motors? Another hurdle is physics and chemistry; 15 miles at highway speeds is just about the range of the bikes built so far -- the batteries just can't support a charge for that distance & speed. You can extend your range, but max speed drops to about 45 mph. I do not want to spend my life on Kam Highway! The last hurdle is bureaucratic -- how to get UH to provide a charging station where I can park the bike during day.

Any other like minded tinkerers out there? Interested in a summer project?

Views: 6

Sponsors

web design, web development, localization

© 2024   Created by Daniel Leuck.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service