TechHui

Hawaiʻi's Technology Community

A great article by TechHui member Ray Tsuchiyama on Forbes Blog:

In a mid-summer issue of Shukan Economist, a Japanese business weekly, Japan-made products on the Chinese Taobao e-commerce rankings were listed like a snapshot, giving revealing insights of Chinese consumer desires, suspicions and behavior patterns.

As the powerful Chinese economy created disposable income for larger numbers of Chinese consumers, interest in imported goods purchased
online skyrocketed, especially Japanese products known for quality and
workmanship.  On e-commerce sites like Taobao, part of the giant Alibaba
Internet B2B/B2C empire, “top ten” products are usually cheap and small
in size, so the consumer benefits are easy to understand. Read More

Views: 51

Replies to This Discussion

What many others commented was that even if China was the Factory of the World, if given a choice, Chinese consumers seem to go their own way, with their own thinking on efficacy, quality, health, security etc. I don't think it is just money. There is also aspiration, branding, and cachet. Imagine whipping out a high-tech Japanese pen at a Communist cell meeting in Beijing -- and everybody wants to use it to write their own names or some graffiti! I can understand Chinese parents' concern over powdered milk or insect spray or even dangerous chemicals on daipers, but still I have to ask Chinese friends on this pen set.
Ray Tsuchiyama: I can understand Chinese parents' concern over powdered milk or insect spray or even dangerous chemicals on daipers, but still I have to ask Chinese friends on this pen set.

We look forward to hearing their response.

RSS

Sponsors

web design, web development, localization

© 2024   Created by Daniel Leuck.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service