TechHui

Hawaiʻi's Technology Community

Just saw a link to an interesting story on researchers at UC San Diego developing an impressive proof-of-concept where they duplicate a physical key with just only a photograph. (Saw this on Bruce Schneier's blog)

This brings to mind an excellent bit of writing by Matt Blaze on Master-Keyed Lock Vulnerabilities.

And I was so worried when I thought I inadvertently left my house keys at a nearby onsen. The key fob actually has got our home address on it, I will have to remove that immediately!

Views: 33

Replies to This Discussion

If they had your address and A key they could probably crack your lock. A few years ago at DefCon they had a display showing people that if you hit a key in a lock hard enough it will open. YouTube still has video of an 11-year-old girl opening a lock after only a few hits. Kinda scary that they haven't fixed this for the most part already.

They key-from-photo concept is pretty spiffy though. If not a little worrisome to the more paranoid of us out there. ;)
Hey, kewl link to that YouTube vid on that 11-year old lock breaker... Have you heard about the Bic ballpen opening up a Kryptonite lock?

Jerry said:
If they had your address and A key they could probably crack your lock. A few years ago at DefCon they had a display showing people that if you hit a key in a lock hard enough it will open. YouTube still has video of an 11-year-old girl opening a lock after only a few hits. Kinda scary that they haven't fixed this for the most part already.

They key-from-photo concept is pretty spiffy though. If not a little worrisome to the more paranoid of us out there. ;)
No, I hadn't heard about that. That's a super-secure lock right there.

RSS

Sponsors

web design, web development, localization

© 2024   Created by Daniel Leuck.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service