TechHui

Hawaiʻi's Technology Community

Avatar, besides being a visually stunning demonstration of 3D capabilities, also raises some very interesting points in neuroscience. It mainly talks about a planet-wide neural network and ability to plug into one another's nervous system. 

So I was just wondering if anyone has any view/information on the subject. Do you think such neural networks are possible? Do they already exist on some levels? How is the neuro-net of our brain different from that of our surrounding environment?

http://thebeautifulbrain.com/2010/01/the-neuroscience-of-avatar/

The Tree of Life. Gustav Klimt, 1909.

Views: 6443

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, it is. What's amazing to me is not so much the colors, but the message in every single painting. I can stare at some for long time and keep mentally interacting with it. Some paintings are literally alive & moving. Others, such as the one above, look like environmental energy maps.

I've also heard that indigenous Australian shamans use paintings as visualization techniques to cure various deseases, which is also observed in African and Amazonian tribes. It might do current medicine much good to absorb indigenous information. It could even be possible to find cure for more serious deceases, such as cancer - by uniting scientific methods with indigenous knowledge.

Such paintings also look like effective language substitutions, as they use intuitive ways to transmit data to the observer. It's a pity that only few see the connection between these paintings, the environment, and ourselves, mostly mistaking them for beautiful pieces of art.
An interesting article concerning the Avatar movie and how it relates to this Planet's reality.

CAMERON: AMAZON DAM DISPUTE A REAL-LIFE 'AVATAR'

"Avatar" has struck a chord with environmentalists worldwide, from China, where millions have been displaced by major infrastructure projects, to Bolivia, where Evo Morales, the nation's first indigenous president, praised the film for sending the message of saving the environment from exploitation.
"I'm drawn into a situation where a real-life 'Avatar' confrontation is in progress," Cameron said in a telephone interview while en route to protests taking place in front of the Mines and Energy Ministry.

"What's happening in 'Avatar' is happening in Brazil and places like India and China, where traditional villages are displaced by big infrastructure projects," he added.
Avatar director vows to fight on for Amazon

It is interesting how it took James Cameron, Avatar's director, to write a whole movie before realizing that his story has direct correlations to planet Earth. I applaud to such responsible activity.

"Avatar was based on real but abstract stories. It came out of articles in National Geographic and documentaries on TV. But after meeting the indigenous people of the Amazon with whom we communicated very clearly and emotionally, it's real for me. And it's personal," Cameron said.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sponsors

web design, web development, localization

© 2024   Created by Daniel Leuck.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service