TechHui

Hawaiʻi's Technology Community

hi everyone,

A friend of mine is interested in getting a MMORG project off the ground and asked if I knew any contacts who could assist him.  I told him I could post a note here on Tech Hui and see if any of you folks are interested.

I don't have a whole lot of details on the project but if anyone is interested working on a MMORG project feel free to contact my friend and see if his project is something of interest to you.  His name is Brian Paisley.  His phone number is 808-777-7421 and his e-mail is bluehuanama@gmail.com

Thanks in advance for any interest and assistance you can provide him.

Views: 154

Replies to This Discussion

Is this a personal project or a funded, commercial one?

hey Kevin,

That's for your reply and interest.

To answer your question:  honestly, I'm not too sure.  I asked him for details to be able to field questions like these from you guys but he said it'd take to long to explain and just requests for people to contact him directly for project info.  Feel free to call or e-mail him with inquiries.

thanks again

- Jon

I'm interested but would would prefer reviewing the scope of work needed on a website or as a downloadable PDF to see if I'm a fit for his needs before making direct contact....It'll also save him a lot of wasted time screening unqualified people as well.

A good MMORG requires traditional artists to make storyboards, character mock ups and UI elements... and people with good 3D skills to create the world elements and fill it with characters... and these 3D/CGI people should also know how to do good light baking, textures, rendering,  collisions, particles, physics, animation and pay attention to polygon counts so the game runs well...he could also benefit from someone who knows MOCAP (motion capture) to get fluid walk cycles and character movement (I like working with the kinect... simple and cost effective).

It will also need people to code the UI and game interaction (probably what he's looking for here) Some engines like to work with C++, XNA, C#, etc... others (like Unity [which I'm currently learning]) work with Javascript. You can also make a game with Actionscript/PHP. Either way, it would be helpful to know what engine he plans to use for the MMORG (or does he want one built from scratch).  In Barnes and Noble the other day I saw a book published by Blizzard on how to build a WOW style MMORG. I had the custom code they use and techniques for the UI , etc.

I know you can't answer these questions, but perhaps a way to help your friend is to let him know these are questions  don't require revealing sensitive information about the game details. Just basic info to help him recruit effectively here.

A personal project has different needs and scope.  That's why I wanted to start with a simple question in my 1st post. Craigslist is full of "work on spec" and "you'll get paid if it ever makes money" requests. I'm hoping that isn't the case here.

Thanks for your feedback Kevin.  

Kevin Luttrell said:

I'm interested but would would prefer reviewing the scope of work needed on a website or as a downloadable PDF to see if I'm a fit for his needs before making direct contact....It'll also save him a lot of wasted time screening unqualified people as well.

A good MMORG requires traditional artists to make storyboards, character mock ups and UI elements... and people with good 3D skills to create the world elements and fill it with characters... and these 3D/CGI people should also know how to do good light baking, textures, rendering,  collisions, particles, physics, animation and pay attention to polygon counts so the game runs well...he could also benefit from someone who knows MOCAP (motion capture) to get fluid walk cycles and character movement (I like working with the kinect... simple and cost effective).

It will also need people to code the UI and game interaction (probably what he's looking for here) Some engines like to work with C++, XNA, C#, etc... others (like Unity [which I'm currently learning]) work with Javascript. You can also make a game with Actionscript/PHP. Either way, it would be helpful to know what engine he plans to use for the MMORG (or does he want one built from scratch).  In Barnes and Noble the other day I saw a book published by Blizzard on how to build a WOW style MMORG. I had the custom code they use and techniques for the UI , etc.

I know you can't answer these questions, but perhaps a way to help your friend is to let him know these are questions  don't require revealing sensitive information about the game details. Just basic info to help him recruit effectively here.

A personal project has different needs and scope.  That's why I wanted to start with a simple question in my 1st post. Craigslist is full of "work on spec" and "you'll get paid if it ever makes money" requests. I'm hoping that isn't the case here.

Tell him that if it takes too long to describe on a message board, he might not have enough focus to actually get the project off the ground. You can describe a great game's hooks in a paragraph or so, perhaps not in detail, but enough that people can get interested. Any more than that, and players won't even glance at your game since it's just sitting next to all these other games which don't actually say much about themselves as they fill paragraphs with things you could tell just by looking at screenshots.

At the very least, there should be specific roles he needs to fill in order to not waste a lot of people's time. It would be preferable if we actually knew what kind of game it was in the first place; "MMOR(P)G" covers so many types of games now that it would be ridiculous to assume anything based on that alone.

I know I'm being blunt here but the undertaking of such a project entails so much more effort than a traditional single/multiplayer game.

RSS

Sponsors

web design, web development, localization

© 2024   Created by Daniel Leuck.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service