TechHui

Hawaiʻi's Technology Community

I think this is a good thing for Java. IBM already spends more money on Java development and is heavily involved in the JCP.

IBM, Sun Microsystems Deal Possible, Shares Soar
HuffPost: If IBM Corp. scoops up Sun Microsystems Inc. for at least $6.5 billion in cash, as the companies are discussing, IBM would be making an opportunistic grab for a deep well of technology that Sun has nearly buried itself developing.

Mahalo to Kent from Sprout for the link.

Views: 74

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think its a good thing too. It will be interesting to see how IBM adjusts or re-shapes Java going forward.
Ditto that, from the point-of-view of MySQL... if Sun is bought by IBM, it could mean an even greater boost for MySQL.
Hey Brooke, I forgot about MySQL. That would be a great asset for IBM. I hear a lot of people saying Sun isn't worth it, but they still have some very smart people, good government contracts, interesting technologies and stewardship of Java.

Brooke Fujita said:
Ditto that, from the point-of-view of MySQL... if Sun is bought by IBM, it could mean an even greater boost for MySQL.
That was my first thought upon hearing the news. If IBM does buy Sun that gives them MySQL covering low to mid level database needs, and then DB2 to up sell them to for enterprise / top end database purposes.

Brooke Fujita said:
Which makes me wonder what will happen to PostgreSQL...?

I actually prefer PostgreSQL over MySQL, but everyone using open-source dbs seem to automatically pick MySQL... sigh.
Nope.... Oracle just announced an agreement to buy Sun.

So, uh... once more, what will happen to MySQL?
It's downright SCARY to see the kinds of assets Oracle has been picking up over the last Decade.

Oracle has a nice position in the Application Market with the acquisition of PeopleSoft; and the subsequent acquisition of Siebel Systems. With the acquisition of Sun, Oracle is poised to get a capable Hardware team, along with a rock-solid Operating System in Solaris. This might mean an end to Oracle's "Unbreakable Linux" (RedHat Enterprise spin-off) effort, and a renewed effort into work on Solaris as a highly-marketed RedHat competitor. Fear the Oracle Marketing Machine - they're relentless! :-)

I'd imagine this acquisition can only mean good things for Oracle (the Database) running on Sun Hardware and Solaris in high-end datacenters.

It might mean good things for MySQL: As a new member of the Oracle family, it could mean a richer set of Oracle-provided tools to directly upgrade an Application from MySQL to Oracle on the back-end. To be honest, I've always been afraid of MySQL on large deployments, despite their theoretical limitations.

MySQL is good enough for the small stuff, but I'd never deploy it in an Enterprise deployment - especially when there's a budget to license the well-known 800-pound Gorilla.

I'm much more interested to see how this affects Java and especially JRuby.
I was being facetious.

... the more you know...

Brooke Fujita said:
Nope.... Oracle just announced an agreement to buy Sun.
So, uh... once more, what will happen to MySQL?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sponsors

web design, web development, localization

© 2024   Created by Daniel Leuck.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service