TechHui

Hawaiʻi's Technology Community

I've found some free stuff online and would like to share. Enjoy!

* freecycle.org

It's a national organization with local chapters to give away or request items people don't need any more (like old tv's, bed frames, dirt and so on). If you have extra junk laying around, it's better to post it on here to see if someone can use it before throwing it away.

* skydrive.live.com

MS is giving out 25GB of free online storage. It's called Skydrive and it's free. Great way to backup those files you've been hoping will be there after the next power outage.

* chi.mp

I've yet to get a beta code.. but these guys are supposably giving out free .mp domain names. They're local so they're worth a mention.

* smallbusiness.officelive.com

Free domain name, free hosting, the works. They even have a pretty wysiwyg editor for the pages you create. Can't beat it really.

* google.com/a

Google apps. I think that everyone already knows about this one. The domain branded email is pretty useful as well as analytics.

* constantcontact.com

Newsletter website. It's a great way to keep in touch with your clients and the last time I checked, the first 50 were free.

* opendns.org

DNS filtering for workstations. Used by nonprofits and small businesses alike. Great for protecting windows machines and keeping your kids from going to inappropriate web sites.

* logmein.com

Great remote access tool. Lets you access your machine with a pretty web interface. Great replacement for rdp, vnc, gotomypc or pcanywhere.

Views: 65

Replies to This Discussion

We use Free Conference for conference calls.
They have a special open signup today only from 4 to 10 PM HST.

Attila Seress: I've yet to get a beta code.. but these guys are supposably giving out free .mp domain names. They're local so they're worth a mention.
Thanks for the tip. I was able to sign up!

Daniel Leuck said:
They have a special open signup today only from 4 to 10 PM HST.

Attila Seress: I've yet to get a beta code.. but these guys are supposably giving out free .mp domain names. They're local so they're worth a mention.
If you're in Kailua-Kona, Pre-Owned Motorcars has free car washes every so often. Their website is hawaiicar.com
I've heard a bit of buzz lately for mozy.com. It's not free, but for $5 a month unlimited storage it might as well be. Does anyone have feedback on the service?
I have used Mozy for quite some time. Their basic package is indeed free, but I upgraded to the 5 buck a month version for more storage. Highly reliable, easy to configure off site backup. I'm a big fan.
Ken
I've been qik crazy lately. For those of you not familiar with it, you can stream live video off of your cell phone and viewers can tune in via the web. It has great commercial apps and it amazes just about anyone you show it to.

Check it out at qik.com!

Best of all, it's free!

PS. Qik will work on your iPhone if you jailbreak it. I don't think this "functionality" is listed on their site tho...
Has anyone used idrive.com? It's the same thing as mozy.com - 2GB free backup and $5 /month for more. I think that they've been around longer...
I have a webpage with a few links to some free programs.

http://www.thoughtactuated.com/node/3

The usual is there, Firefox, Thunderbird, and OpenOffice, as well as a free CD/DVD burning program, Antivirus (truly free for home use), firewall, and Image Editing program. I will also be adding a link to a free and very powerful FTP program called WinSCP. I will add to this list as I collect the links. This page provides a single location to find all these great programs.

Enjoy!
Lookin' good! Thanks for the links :)

I have another free one for you:

ooma.com

Free home phone service. All you need to do is buy the hardware. It's available at best buy for $249.

Light said:
I have a webpage with a few links to some free programs.

http://www.thoughtactuated.com/node/3

The usual is there, Firefox, Thunderbird, and OpenOffice, as well as a free CD/DVD burning program, Antivirus (truly free for home use), firewall, and Image Editing program. I will also be adding a link to a free and very powerful FTP program called WinSCP. I will add to this list as I collect the links. This page provides a single location to find all these great programs.

Enjoy!
800-GOOG-411. Been using it every day for maybe a year now. I think that it's started learning our Hawaiian street names pretty well by now. Enjoy.
Anyone want to give me their old desktop/laptop computers? I'm always looking out for old machines people don't want anymore for my linux experiments. Feel free to drop me a line if you have any ideas!

Aloha

RSS

Sponsors

web design, web development, localization

© 2024   Created by Daniel Leuck.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service