TechHui

Hawaiʻi's Technology Community

What are three good things that the UH ICS program is providing for its students?

If you can only think of one thing, that's OK too.

Views: 9607

Replies to This Discussion

Here are my thoughts as a computer engineering student:

• Dr. Johnson. I like his teaching style as it’s a nice break from the traditional lecture. Although it’s only been two classes, I’ve never been so engaged in class before. I wish more of my computer engineering classes were structured this way.
  • Variety of courses. Reading through the list of ICS courses offered, I see a lot of interesting courses such as high-performance computing and parallel algorithms. I also see courses with practical applications such as programming for the web and software engineering. As computer science is such a broad field, I think the variety of courses offered definitely gives students a chance to see what they're interested in.
  • Extracurricular programming. I think there are a lot of opportunities in the ICS department to improve one’s programming outside of just their classes. Hackathons, programming competitions are an example. I wish we had more competitions like these as they’re both challenging and rewarding.

There are several good things that the program is providing, and these are my top three:

Approachable teachers-I have enjoyed discussing with professors about their professional background, their research, suggestions, and personal goals. Some of them have given me direction as to where to take my degree, and where I may not want to go with it.

Extracurricular activities-ACM and Grey Hats both provide experiences and additional knowledge outside the classroom. I have been able to compete in out of class events, and volunteer for a GenCyber event, all that assists in building connections, asking professionals questions about their line of work, and opening more doors.

A stable job- Doing a search for a job with a degree in Computer Science gives a huge list all across the world with a decent starting pay. This program will get you employed directly in the field, and in this age is a big thing.

As a computer engineering student, here are my thoughts:

1)  Opportunities to network. There are many ways to meet colleagues not just through classes but through places such as the ICSpace where students can interact, discuss, and collaborate with each other. In addition, clubs such as Grey Hats enables students to apply knowledge learned in the classroom into real-world training for cyber defense. These opportunities to network enable students to meet others with different levels of experience. 

2) Diverse class variety. The ICS department offers interesting courses such as AI programming and concurrent programming. Courses such as these allows students to obtain knowledge of real-world applications as they cater towards students with specific interests. The diverse variety of courses offered provides students the opportunity to specialize and gain specific skillsets.

3) Competitions. Extracurricular events such as hackathons and other competitions provide students the opportunity to practice one’s programming skills and meet other developers. These competitions challenge and indirectly motivate students to push themselves harder as learning new skillsets and gaining more connections make these events very rewarding. 

During my experiences in CENG so far, I would highlight:

1. Coming out of your shell -- There are so many talented students in the UH ICS and CENG department, you can learn from your classmates, as well as, your professors.

2. Good Company -- Everyone is very smart at this level and it motivates you to keep up with the pack.

3. Collaboration -- Tying in with the last points, the professional collaboration tools being taught are essential at this level now, in my opinion.

I'm actually a Computer Engineering student, but I think that these two majors are similar enough for the positive things to relate.

1. One of my favorite things about the computer engineering program is actually the mandatory advising. I was a little lost when I first transferred to UH Manoa and my adviser was extremely helpful and is the reason I'm taking this class.

2. There are a lot of clubs for women in STEM fields and they provide a lot of support and opportunities.

3. UH provides a lot of opportunities (like a career fair especially for STEM) for our program.

To me the three best things about being a UH ICS Student are :

• Variety of courses. Since computer science covers an extensive range of topics, it is a plus that I am able to learn about the many topics such as data modeling and query optimization as well as artificial intelligence or computer security.
  • Professors and advisers. The professors in the ICS department are brilliant. The majority of them really want to see the students succeed and a lot of them will go out of their way to help a student that may be struggling or give them advice for their future careers.
  • Computing Ethics for Lab Assistants course. This course allows undergraduates to teach a 100 level ICS class. It is an extremely valuable course at UH Manoa because it lets you practice your communication/teaching skills which will always be helpful in the future.
  1. Free software
  2. Learning various programming languages and concepts that give you more of a skill set under your belt
  3. Courses seem more fun than other classes in other majors.

1. Deeper understanding of how a computer works. The courses that I have taken so far has taught me things that I would had most likely had never learn by myself.

2. Exposure to different programming languages. It was really nice learning C and C++.

3. Learning about existing algorithms such as Huffman and Dijkstra. It has given me a better insight on how a certain problem can be solved.

Three things about being an UH ICS students

1) The most AWESOME thing is free software.

2) ICSpace, a amazing place to study and make some new friends.

3) very nice and enthusiastic professors, we will learn new things from them.

1.) Being an ICS student has helped me refine my skills in programming and working in groups.

2.) Being around other students who have the same interests as me gives me a chance to use them as a resource for learning, and the vice-versa. Students in the ICS major are always a blast to hang around, and gave me the opportunity to make friends who challenge me to better myself and experience new things.

3.) I've been introduced to hackathons and as a result, gained connections, learned what it's like to truly cram work and research in to come up with a creative minimum product that still can be presented in a way that people would like, and in general it is a fun experience.

1) I appreciate the diverse coding languages that are taught.

2) Free programs are nice.

3) I'm not personally a part of it, but I hear groups like Grey Hats are pretty great.

I just transferred into the program and this is my first semester. So far the program has seemed great. I transferred from mostly online school, so the atmosphere of a total face to face environment has been refreshing. The top three things I've noticed so far would be...

1. The teachers and TA all seem very willing to help student's succeed. I get the vibe that they truly care about the students learning and they would be willing to spend extra time to ensure a student understood. 

2. The classes so far have all focused on working together as a team. I came from a full-time job as a cyber intelligence analyst before I came here and I can definitely say that is huge in the real world! In every aspect, people work with teams and being able to problem solve or communicate effectively is huge. It is nice to see the collaborative environment in the classes so far. 

3. The ICS counselor, Gerald, has been very helpful! Since I transferred, my credit situation is very unusual. He has been very helpful in allowing me to make this program work for me within a reasonable amount of time. 

I can't say much about the curriculum yet, but so far it seems to be a good program. 

RSS

Sponsors

web design, web development, localization

© 2024   Created by Daniel Leuck.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service