TechHui

Hawaiʻi's Technology Community

What are three good things that the UH ICS program is providing for its students?

If you can only think of one thing, that's OK too.

Views: 9636

Replies to This Discussion

1. Advice from true professionals in the field. All the professors want to see us all succeed, it's amazing.

2. Knowing that you have the potential to better the world in many ways.

3. As an avid gamer, I constantly think about how the programmers made the game. Even though the gameplay itself is simple and straight-forward, what goes on behind the game is a lot more complicated than I thought. I think that is quite interesting.

1. Technical skills that can be employed in a work environment. Computer science is an industry that is rapidly growing and the program prepares students to enter real world.

2. A breadth of courses that allow students to not only gain a general idea of computer science but also to focus on certain aspects of computer science such as cyber security, web development, etc.

3. Helpful staff and ample resources for students to ensure that they can achieve their goals and enter the professional world with less anxiety.

1. I enjoy getting to learn new and useful skills and how to apply them. The classes offered tend to cover a large scope of content and offer a good deal of insight into what skills we will actually need in the real world as well as what is academically important. 
  2. The friendly and helpful staff, both faculty and TA alike are a plus. I have yet to have a bad experience with either. 
  3. The many opportunities that are constantly streaming in from Gerald Lau is also a plus. I feel that I would have no problem finding an opportunity that is the right fit with so many that come through.  

1. The first good thing being an ICS student at UH is that the upper level class room is small compared to other major classes. I have heard that other majors have 100+ people in their upper level classes. In the smaller group, we can learn better and engage with our materials. Also, we can easily make friends and study partner in the classes.

2. The second good thing thing is that we can learn how computer system really work. There are a lot of websites that offer companies and people to make their sites, but as an ICS student, we can customize menu tab, each page, color of background and all small details.

3. The third thing is that we can learn not only programming or its code, but also how to write proper essays. Being a professional as a programer or a sofeware engineer needs to be a good writer as well. There are many writing practice, it is not nessesary essays, but could be writing clear description of projects. 

1. Computer Science is a field that will always be relevant today. Lots of job opportunities.

2. Programming is a lot of fun that it doesn't even feel like homework at times.

3. Free software

The three good things about being an ICS student at UH Manoa are:

1. Diverse fields of ICS related opportunities exist and waiting for students.

2. Get chances to learn and get in touch with professionals.

3. Great Technology related facilities and free Microsoft software.

In high school, I really wanted to pursue a career in software development but when I joined my high schools robotics team I really enjoyed designing and making parts for the robot! So as a freshman I came into the university as a Mechanical Engineering major but realized I still have that love for software development. So I changed my major and really enjoyed being in this program.

First, I really liked being able to choose between a B.A and a B.S in ICS. We are given so much options and we have the freedom to choose which one will benefit our specific career path. We even have a lot of options for the graduate students since they offer a M.S and a Ph.D for ICS.

Second, the ICS department has a great advisor! Gerald Lau is super easy to talk to and he showed me that he really cares for the students. Many other advisors try to push students to finish in 4 years but Gerald told me to take my time and really focus on learning the material and getting good grades for each class.

Lastly, the ICS program has a community lounge where ICS students can network with some of the staff, study in a great environment and make new friends! 

1. Software engineering and programming can be used to accomplish almost anything, especially as more of the world moves towards implementing computers in things we interact with every day.

2. Getting to learn from professors who have real-world experience.

These are my top three good things about the the ICS program at UH Manoa in particular:

1. Networking opportunities: UH ICS students students tend to leave Hawaii after graduating to pursue opportunities on the mainland or internationally, which means alumni will usually have a far-reaching professional network that is probably working on interesting projects at interesting places.

2. A Diverse Student Body and Faculty: Hawaii is fantastically diverse, and that's reflected in the students and faculty of UH's ICS program. Whether it's diversity in terms of gender, ethnicity, nationality, socioeconomic background, or life experience, Manoa's ICS program has it all. This diversity is useful because it exposes students to problems and solutions they would have not considered otherwise. The thing nearly all UH ICS students have in common is that they are very smart.

3. Emphasis on Fundamental Skills: I was surprised to learn that some classes that are 300- and 400-level classes in other universities are 100- and 200-level classes at UH, like Manoa's discrete math courses, among others. UH has a very strong emphasis on skills that translate across computer languages, and often across academic disciplines. Though I feel this leads to a slower ramp-up (two years in, and I only now feel relatively confident in the body of skills I've acquired), I think it probably makes for stronger computer scientists in the long run. When reading about those "hard tech interviews" at Google that people always feel unprepared for (design and implement a red-black tree on this whiteboard), I've nearly always seen the question or skill addressed somewhere in Manoa's ICS curriculum, so it seems we get prepared for the "hard stuff."

1. Courses teaching you many programming languages to be well rounded in coding.

2. Can take what you learn to do things outside of school related work such as working on personal projects.

3. Learning from professors and teaching  some tips and tricks to help make coding abit easier. I think it was in 211 when learning java, Eclipse was able to help set up some lines for you with get and set methods and etc.

1) There are many different focuses that are offered for UH ICS students. This allows students to take courses that interest them rather than forcing them to take a course that does not interest them.

2) The professors and advisors for the UH ICS program are available for students to talk to about school, internships, opportunities, and the future.

3) The ICS lounge room in POST building is really nice to have. It allows people to form a community around ICS, make new connections, and and do homework, etc.

1. I think the fact that we are in Hawaii, where the local culture is so much different than up in the mainland may give some advantages in terms of creativity and diversity.

2. The movement towards classes that have more usefulness in the workforce is a good thing, hopefully we can benefit from this.

3. Gerald Lau's mailing list and opportunities are abundant and useful.

RSS

Sponsors

web design, web development, localization

© 2024   Created by Daniel Leuck.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service