TechHui

Hawaiʻi's Technology Community

What are three good things that the UH ICS program is providing for its students?

If you can only think of one thing, that's OK too.

Views: 9636

Replies to This Discussion

- A lot of new skills are learned

- Very knowledgeable professors, but not always the best at teaching.

- Promotes networking with other people.  

1. Many classes have taught me how to learn independently better, while most professors have also been very available for additional assistance outside of class.

2. Google and YouTube can give us valid answers and suggestions to help us solve many problems, unlike some other areas of study.

3. The opportunity to learn skills related to a field that is exciting and seemingly growing bigger every year.

1) Being immersed in a field of study that is relevant and constantly evolving

2) There are more jobs available to people wishing to pursue software

3) Being exposed to multiple programming languages

1. Building rapport with other students and professors.

2. Opportunity to improve and learn various programming skills.

3. At UH many professors have had experience in the field and are very enthusiastic about teaching their craft.

I have only taken ICS 111, 141, 211, 212

Three good things about being an ICS student (Computer Engineer Perspective):
1. You can gain a lot of experience in the software side of computers. Compared to a computer engineer, tis substantial. 
2. You can gain strong connections with your peers in order to complete tasks at hand and future tasks.
3. You can gain a strong knowledge base when you graduate and enter the work force, which will hopefully land you a prestigious job.

1. Computer science is a good major for job availability. A very large amount of work today involves the use of computers.

2. They is a wide range of possible interests in ICS, such as security, software engineering, Databases, and more.

3. Some of the professors from the classes I have taken seem to care about making sure that we are prepared for the work force. Some encourage us to work on our own projects so we can have a professional presence and so we can improve on our programming skills. Some of the Professors and TA’s I have had, have been very helpful when I needed to ask questions.

1) Yes, many people know how to use a computer, but being an ICS student makes you learn how to USE a computer.

2) Lots of opportunities from Gerald :) 

I took a volunteer request to code a website once, and it was lots of fun.

3) I'd say that the staff in this department are friendly overall. It's important to promote this kind of environment, especially in a field where collaboration is essential.

1. Online classes.

2. Free software.

3. ICS provides a plethora of courses that incorporate project based assignments in the curriculum. These courses help students gain real life experience, which is a great starting point for students who have never worked a FULL TIME job. It give students the opportunity to say "Hey! Although I have no full time work experience, I have successfully implemented multiple websites and databases for a variety of different companies."

One of the things I like the most about being a UH ICS student is interacting or working with other students. I like seeing how other people tackle problems because there are quite a lot of different ways to write the same program and I can learn from them if they did something interesting I didn't think of. Another good thing about being a student is the free tools we get from DreamSpark. It allows us to use the tools and get a feeling for them almost like a really extended trial. Finally, I like the focus on networking and jobs in this major. It's important to get started early and I am always getting emails about different opportunities.

The UH Manoa ICS program provides its students with opportunities to practice and improve their coding with fellow peers, as well as some of the most intelligent and experienced professors and TAs one can hope to meet. In addition, it provides its students opportunities to network with some top companies via mixers. Lastly, the program offers courses that cover a wide range of topics such as network security, software engineering, etc.

I believe that one of the best things about the ICS program is the student community. With clubs like ACM and Gray Hats as well as access to computer labs and the ICSpace, it is easy for an ICS student to interact with other students. This is an important aspect of computer science because in the professional environment, computer scientists are always interacting with other computer scientists whether its discussing ideas or working together on a project. So I believe that it is helpful that the department provides good means of student communities. 

1. Classes are fast paced - we've only concluded the first week of classes and I feel like I've learned more about database management systems than any other subject within the same period of time.

2. Course contents - paramount technological advancements take place each year. It's quite satisfying to know the classes we take are relatively pertinent to what we'll experience in the field.

3. Opportunities - Gerald Lau is constantly sending emails, to each student, about current job opportunities. Although it may be an automated process, which vaguely reminds me of a hub, I enjoy receiving the help.

RSS

Sponsors

web design, web development, localization

© 2024   Created by Daniel Leuck.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service